Jorge Mateo 2023

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one seems to know.

One theory is it came from the Latin LGBTQ community as it is a non-gendered term.

a 2021 Gallup poll shows only 4% of the Hispanic community uses the term.

I feel like it’s more likely it came from the white LGBTQIA community. But yea, everyone Latino person in my life rolls their eyes at it. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I mentioned this in the game thread but I learned today that the Hangout wants Mateo replaced because of racism.  Who knew?

I know we're moving on, and so be it, but I saw that on twitter and wanted to comment.

Thank you for standing up for Tony and the Oh.

But could you have done it without referring to yourself as the "highest profile poster" from the OH?  ;) 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No one seems to know.

One theory is it came from the Latin LGBTQ community as it is a non-gendered term.

a 2021 Gallup poll shows only 4% of the Hispanic community uses the term.

I have no problem using inclusive language but the term "Latinx" is not consistent with how words in the Spanish (or Portuguese) language are constructed.  The term "Latine" is also inclusive and is linguistically idiomatic.  

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was trying (and struggling) to think of the last Orioles player who would have scored from first on that Santander grounder just inside the third base bag. I was even going back to Eric Davis… or Alan Wiggins. That was impressive.

Felix Pie?  Brady Anderson?

It was a impressive run.  I dont think more than five or six guys playing today could do it as well.  

1 hour ago, InsideCoroner said:

I was trying (and struggling) to think of the last Orioles player who would have scored from first on that Santander grounder just inside the third base bag. I was even going back to Eric Davis… or Alan Wiggins. That was impressive.

Jeff "Hands of" Stone?