Kyle Gibson 2023

sportsfan8703

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He missed 1 bat tonight.

Not sure I have ever seen that from a starting pitcher before.

You know they have that data in real time so just highlights that they fell asleep at the wheel and/or just hung him out to dry.  

Just now, InsideCoroner said:

1 swing and miss last night, and 17 hard-hit balls... that's almost hard to do even if you just throw nothing but fastballs. Could he have been tipping his pitches?

Possibly..there is also the easiest answer…He sucked, which has been the case for a lot of his career.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Possibly..there is also the easiest answer…He sucked, which has been the case for a lot of his career.

A healthy and effective Means cant get here fast enough...but who knows what Means we will get in late July? We simply dont have a dependable starting rotation...and wait till we play the good teams....

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Gibson never had a single game in his 11-year "mostly sucky" career where the opposing team made contact that often (97.5% of the time). 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Gibson never had a single game in his 11-year "mostly sucky" career where the opposing team made contact that often (97.5% of the time). 

Great post.  Given that the Royals don't hit that well, I would lean toward the idea that he was tipping in some manner.  

5 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

A healthy and effective Means cant get here fast enough...but who knows what Means we will get in late July? We simply dont have a dependable starting rotation...and wait till we play the good teams....

Yep. Not sure how much we want to bank on Means being really good this year but it sure would be nice. 

It looks like Grayson is starting to settle in. He will still have some growing pains but I think it’s fair to expect a sub 4 ERA from him this year.

After that, I don’t have high hopes right now.  Bradish doesn’t look good, Kremer is looking like a 1 year wonder, Gibson will be up and down all year because that’s who he is and Wells really is an unknown as a starter for the a full season.

Maybe Irvin can be the guy we thought he would be but even that is just a back end starter.

Can Hall develop?  Will Povich move fast and be part of the equation?  

Really can’t see a realistic scenario where the Os don’t need to acquire a difference making starting pitcher.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep. Not sure how much we want to bank on Means being really good this year but it sure would be nice. 

It looks like Grayson is starting to settle in. He will still have some growing pains but I think it’s fair to expect a sub 4 ERA from him this year.

After that, I don’t have high hopes right now.  Bradish doesn’t look good, Kremer is looking like a 1 year wonder, Gibson will be up and down all year because that’s who he is and Wells really is an unknown as a starter for the a full season.

Maybe Irvin can be the guy we thought he would be but even that is just a back end starter.

Can Hall develop?  Will Povich move fast and be part of the equation?  

Really can’t see a realistic scenario where the Os don’t need to acquire a difference making starting pitcher.

Fingers crossed for a positive showing from Hall at noon today :) 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I agree with you. And I am certain that Elias & company have made a similar assessment. With the way the Braves and Rays swing the stick, it could get a little ugly. I don’t know what people were really expecting from Gibson. He is who he is, which is nowhere near good enough on a playoff caliber team. Sure maybe to backfill a rotation in the 5/6th spot like he did for Philly last year. But that’s about it.

I hope that Means returns to form this year. But even if he does, we are going to need more. Right now, other than believing in Grayson’s talents/development/projection, there is no one else that I want anywhere near a postseason start. Maybe Wells?

Forgetting the postseason for a second, I’m not sure how we make it through the regular season with this mediocrity/sub par performance from our starting pitching. It will be like last year, where the bullpen is cooked by the end of the season.

I think it was just the kind of night where Gibson didn't have much stuff, but battled through 6 to keep the team in the game. While I know Hyde wanted him to continue to do the same through the 7th to save his bullpen, I do think he should have been on a short leash due to the lack of whiff and the amount of hard hit balls going into the 7th. 

I don't want to get on Hyde too hard because that inning really snowballed on him really quickly, but I do think Akin should have been on loosen up mode when the 7th starter and warm up mode after the 2nd hit made it 1st and 3rd and no outs.

But as Hyde said after the game, they didn't score any runs so none of that mattered. 

Gibson is who he is and why he was available to $10/ 1yr contract. He's going to keep you in games more times than not (which is his value), but he's a guy when the stuff isn't there, they have to very careful with the 3rd and 4th time through a lineup. He's a solid 4th-5th starter option on a good team.

I thought Gibson looked very good last night and had mixed feelings about Hyde’s decision to pull him after he allowed a leadoff bloop single to start the 7th with his pitch count at 93.   The way our bullpen has been taxed lately, I would have been tempted to see if Gibson could get another couple of outs before giving up any more baserunners.  At the same time, the 7th inning was when Gibson let the game get out of hand his last time out.  

In any event, Baker came in and allowed the inherited runner to score, leaving Gibson’s line at 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB and 4 K’s.   Solid outing and gave the team a chance to win.   

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I thought Gibson looked very good last night and had mixed feelings about Hyde’s decision to pull him after he allowed a leadoff bloop single to start the 7th with his pitch count at 93.   The way our bullpen has been taxed lately, I would have been tempted to see if Gibson could get another couple of outs before giving up any more baserunners.  At the same time, the 7th inning was when Gibson let the game get out of hand his last time out.  

In any event, Baker came in and allowed the inherited runner to score, leaving Gibson’s line at 6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB and 4 K’s.   Solid outing and gave the team a chance to win.   

I was listening on the radio so I didn't get to see how he looked, but I agree, I would have let him go until another hit or walk. 

Baker sounded like he was all over when he came in. It would be nice to get him back on track.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree, a good outing for Gibson.  I think Hyde did a great job taking him out when he did.