Eve Rosenbaum interview

Frobby

Nice interview here with Eve Rosenbaum, about 30 minutes long.  She got into topics like:

- How is the lineup set each night.

- How does the team decide when a prospect is ready for a call-up.

- How does the team decide when to send a player down (discussing Stowers specifically).

- Is the team considering long term extensions for any players.  

Obviously she’s not giving away any state secrets, but she answered in more detail than we typically get from the O’s front office.  

https://apple.co/3UuJ0mt Spotify:

https://spoti.fi/3zSLemf

• Thanks 1

Im listening to it now, she's a pretty good interview. I like how the daily lineups are thought out by the wizards (advance scouting department) and the magicians (analytics) then Hyde makes the final decision. I wasnt sure it was his call.

16 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I listened this morning.  One of my key takeaways from when she was discussing Stowers was that they aren't comfortable playing him in left field in Camden Yards.  She didn't explicitly say this, but that was clearly the implication.

I didn't put that together as I was listening while working (multitasking = doing 2 things badly), but that's a good call out.    I remembered more the part where she described new Camden as having "two centerfields".

I was also hit by the contrast between the gospel of mastering every element of every level and the Jorge Mateo action of, "Eh, let's just make him the everyday SS at the MLB level".

I thought Eve biggest comment was that the prospects have to be better than who they are competing with.   (In Elias/Hyde's mind)   So far they don't think Stowers is better than Santander.  And he is only competing in RF and DH.

And if we look at the DH pecking order it begins with Adley, then Mountcastle, then Gunnar,   Maybe even Hays, Urias and Frazier the way they is hitting.    They seem to want to see Vavra over Stowers.

Apparently the O's braintrust does not think Stowers has shown enough at AAA to where he is better than the guys he is competing with.  It not that he has not earned a promotion.   Its who he is competing against.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jabba72 said:

Im listening to it now, she's a pretty good interview. I like how the daily lineups are thought out by the wizards (advance scouting department) and the magicians (analytics) then Hyde makes the final decision. I wasnt sure it was his call.

It may be "his call" on the final lineup. But Hyde is not rocking the boat and going against the "advanced scouting" and "wizards" unless someone is injured. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I thought Eve biggest comment was that the prospects have to be better than who they are competing with.   (In Elias/Hyde's mind)   So far they don't think Stowers is better than Santander.  And he is only competing in RF and DH.

And if we look at the DH pecking order it begins with Adley, then Mountcastle, then Gunnar,   Maybe even Hays, Urias and Frazier the way they is hitting.    They seem to want to see Vavra over Stowers.

Apparently the O's braintrust does not think Stowers has shown enough at AAA to where he is better than the guys he is competing with.  It not that he has not earned a promotion.   Its who he is competing against.

Yeah, no way he could do better than .544 OPS. lol

There was plenty of PAs available for him without taking someone's job. Did she say why they never gave him any PAs against left-handed pitching after hitting them hard his whole career? What wizardry decides he should never get PAs against lefties but Henderson should?

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Wonder if that’s a function of him being a freak athlete + not being “one of theirs”.  

She clearly stated Mateo had success in AAA and was blocked by playing on a good team in San Diego. The O's apparently were waiting to pounce on him.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

She clearly stated Mateo had success in AAA and was blocked by playing on a good team in San Diego. The O's apparently were waiting to pounce on him.

Correct.  Was listening while working first time through.  Missed that.  Just listened again.  Thanks for pointing that out. 

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I've often wondered how Analytics can account for the success of small ball tactics (which actually win games.) Sometimes a Manager just has a good feel for the game in certain situations and I'm skeptical that numbers can actually reflect the positive affects of things like a bunt to move runners along.