The new pitcher catcher communication devices....can the coaches use it to direct the pitcher on what to throw?

Gurgi

I just wondered what the rules are for the pitcher/catcher communication devices.  Can a coach or manager use it and call the pitches in a game pitch by pitch?  Or does the operators have to be just the pitcher and the catcher?  

I hear that in College the usual practice is for the coaches to call the pitches pitch by pitch.   Just using signals.   If that is legal then wouldnt coaches actually imputing the next desired pitch be pretty much the same thing?

I apologize for unhelpfully not answering your question and instead asking another one: why do we have pitch comm? I get enough of struggling to get Zoom to work at my job, I don’t want to watch elite athletes struggle with wonky work tech. If they want to tweak the pace of game even further, just go back to flashing fingers.

13 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I apologize for unhelpfully not answering your question and instead asking another one: why do we have pitch comm? I get enough of struggling to get Zoom to work at my job, I don’t want to watch elite athletes struggle with wonky work tech. If they want to tweak the pace of game even further, just go back to flashing fingers.

So Houston, Yankees and the Red Sox dont cheat and steal signs and signal their batters.  They started it last year.  It seems they even let infielders of the pitchers team have one so they know what pitch is coming.  I just want to know if the Managers or Coaches can be the ones calling the pitches on Pitch cast or it has to be the Pitcher themselves.   I know in elite colleges the coaches usually signal the pitch they want thrown to the catcher to then tells the pitcher.  

I could imagine teams using this technology to call the pitches for the pitcher.   No one seems to know the answer to that question I guess.

17 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

So Houston, Yankees and the Red Sox dont cheat and steal signs and signal their batters.  They started it last year.  It seems they even let infielders of the pitchers team have one so they know what pitch is coming.  I just want to know if the Managers or Coaches can be the ones calling the pitches on Pitch cast or it has to be the Pitcher themselves.   I know in elite colleges the coaches usually signal the pitch they want thrown to the catcher to then tells the pitcher.  

I could imagine teams using this technology to call the pitches for the pitcher.   No one seems to know the answer to that question I guess.

At least as of last year they could not...plus its 5K if you lose one!:

“Signals communicated via PitchCom may only be given by the catcher in the game. Signals may not be sent from the dugout, bullpen, a different player in the field, or anywhere else,” the memo said. “Clubs are responsible for their PitchCom devices. Any club that loses a transmitter or receiver will be charged a replacement fee of $5,000 per unit.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2022/04/05/mlb-gives-ok-electronic-pitch-calling/9479470002/

Seems like a technology in search of a reason to exist to me.

Edited by Chavez Ravine