Bryan Reynolds signs extension

Sports Guy

I think I'd sign Cedric to the same deal, might be a little high given Reynolds is probably the higher WAR player.  Ced has 2 more years of ARB left, making 4.1 this year.  Assume 8mil, 12mil, so the last 4 years are then work ~80mil or $20mil per.  Might be a little high, but locks up before the big drop off for a CF with speed implications

Ignoring being present to the moment, Mullins is as gone as Santander and Means.

Being present to the moment, there are three nice looking seasons to enjoy, and a couple hours tonight to see where Kyle Bradish and Corey Kluber rest in the pecking order of the world's best pitchers.

Even if I knew the end of decade payrolls would be $150mm+, I see a bunch of other spots I'd push on with whatever big financial tools I have.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lots of implications for Mullins.

Oh those big spending Pirates playing within that unfair system!

Plus KeBryan Hayes is signed thru 2029 with an option for 2030.He does not make that much. They are not drawing this year yet,near the bottom. So I guess you don't have to wait for attendance to pick up before signing someone longterm 

3 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I think I'd sign Cedric to the same deal, might be a little high given Reynolds is probably the higher WAR player.  Ced has 2 more years of ARB left, making 4.1 this year.  Assume 8mil, 12mil, so the last 4 years are then work ~80mil or $20mil per.  Might be a little high, but locks up before the big drop off for a CF with speed implications

I think Cedric will eventually be traded for pitching to make room for the guys who are coming along in the system.   If not, then one of both of Hays and Santander would need to be traded.  Any of our major league starting outfielders would arguably bring back more than someone in the minors.

2 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I think Cedric will eventually be traded for pitching to make room for the guys who are coming along in the system.   If not, then one of both of Hays and Santander would need to be traded.  Any of our major league starting outfielders would arguably bring back more than someone in the minors.

Santander doesn't need to be traded. He is what he is. He can DH, pinch hit or get cut after this year. There isn't a lot of value there and he's only under team control through next year. 

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I wouldn't be interested in anything longer than 5 years with Cedric.

I wouldn’t extend him at all but I agree with this.

Reynolds May be a better candidate to move to a COF position and provide good value but I think this is a deal the Pirates end up regretting. He’s a big overrated imo.

This certainly seems to put Mullins squarely in the “best CF on the market” discussion.

He may have been anyway but this solidifies that imo. 

Doesn’t mean he’s available of course and they may wait until after the season to move him but I don’t think they extend him and I would lean towards him being somewhere else for the 2024 season.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty tired of the joke, every time a smaller market team signs a player to an extension, that its too bad the O’s can’t match the mighty [insert name of signing team here].  

Angelos has not said the O’s couldn’t or wouldn’t do extensions.  He’s just said they have to do them “within the system we’re in.”  To my mind, that means we probably won’t see extensions at the super-high end of things.  Could they do an extension like this one, or like Tampa has done with Franco, or like Cleveland has done with Ramirez?   It’s obvious that they can.  Whether they’ll choose to do any, and whether the players want to do them, is a separate question.  

The joke is the Os ownership. They are the reason the joke is said, they are the reason the joke is true and until they change that narrative, the joke will continue…and rightfully so.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Pirates get out to a hot start and they're re-upping managers and extending star players, throwing around money like a rapper at a strip club.

Meanwhile, we're over here wondering when Adley's gonna leave.  

And the fans are flocking  Oakland and Miami are only teams  averaging less .

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t extend him at all but I agree with this.

Reynolds May be a better candidate to move to a COF position and provide good value but I think this is a deal the Pirates end up regretting. He’s a big overrated imo.

This certainly seems to put Mullins squarely in the “best CF on the market” discussion.

He may have been anyway but this solidifies that imo. 

Doesn’t mean he’s available of course and they may wait until after the season to move him but I don’t think they extend him and I would lean towards him being somewhere else for the 2024 season.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't extend him, but I know I wouldn't at anything over five years.