TT: It's time to bring up Colton Cowser

Tony-OH

The only hole in this approach is that I'd want Cowser to get all of the ABs for probably at least 10-12 games to really get him acclimated. That will end up digging into someone's ABs unless he DHs a little bit. I don't like it when they call up mega prospects and only play them 3x a week. If he's going to come up, he needs to play a TON to start.

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Can't recall an O's lineup like that. Who would you pitch around if you were facing us?

Well, not sure you pitch around any of them until they prove themselves. Adley is the closest one and Santander when he’s scorching hot.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Correct. You should always have room for really good players. 

Who on here would be upset with this group on a relative everyday basis:

Adley, Mounty, Westburg, Mateo, Gunnar, Hays, Mullins, Cowser and Santander

Ortiz here to spell Westburg 1-2 times a week and Mateo 1-2 times a week.(I guess you could flip this if you prefer)

McKenna, Ortiz, McCann and Frazier is your bench.

What is wrong with that team?

Urias being out And Stowers being sent down really does change things. This lineup becomes real right now. This can easily be done. Just have to be willing to move Frazier to a very part time role.

Are we worse off with that lineup Vs what we currently have?

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The “good problem to have” stuff is kind of Bs.

First of all, keeping Westburg down because Frazier isn’t a good problem to have. People want to pat Elias on the back for the depth and in many ways, he deserves that.  That decision isn’t one of those ways. That is and was a poor decision.

Meh.  He who shall not be named currently sits at #101.  #10 for 2Bs.  I struggle saying it's a bad decision.  QABs add value.

Statcast Expected wOBA, xBA, xSLG | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, not sure you pitch around any of them until they prove themselves. Adley is the closest one and Santander when he’s scorching hot.

Sure, I just mean that top to bottom, that offense has no real weak spots that you could try to exploit as an opposing pitcher. We traditionally have at least a couple of easy victims in our lineup. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Meh.  He who shall not be named currently sits at #101.  #10 for 2Bs.  I struggle saying it's a bad decision.  QABs add value.

Statcast Expected wOBA, xBA, xSLG | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

He doesn’t need to play. We have as good or better defensive players with much higher upsides with the bat.

He can be a late inning pinch hitter, occasional starter type guy.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I definitely don't want to see Hays or Santander getting ABs reduced from them. They have been some of the better hitters on the team this year.

However, I could care less about taking ABs away from McKenna. IMO he is not a difference maker, nor somebody who I feel should be of any serious priority to find playing time for. He's a decent backup and that's about it.

You do raise a good point about Urias, when he returns, and  a good point overall. We simply have too many position players to find places for when you include the 3 AAA who are knocking on the door. I don't think that this problem can be solved until the deadline though. So, unfortunately, Cowser, Westburg, and Ortiz may have to wait it out, until July. Or at least some combination of them. And even then, it might be possible that what is best for the Orioles is that some/all of them may get moved? 

SSS alert!!!but McKenna has a 125 OPS+ in a limited role. Not saying that's a reason to not bring up better players, but he's doing the job that he's been tasked to do.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Correct. You should always have room for really good players. 

Who on here would be upset with this group on a relative everyday basis:

Adley, Mounty, Westburg, Mateo, Gunnar, Hays, Mullins, Cowser and Santander

Ortiz here to spell Westburg 1-2 times a week and Mateo 1-2 times a week.(I guess you could flip this if you prefer)

McKenna, Ortiz, McCann and Frazier is your bench.

What is wrong with that team?

I think there's a very real chance this is the team (give or take Urias being healthy or traded) in another month or so. I just think it's going to take longer than we want. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I think there's a very real chance this is the team (give or take Urias being healthy or traded) in another month or so. I just think it's going to take longer than we want. 

I agree, at least with the Westburg/Frazier part of it. 

But no reason for it take any longer for Cowser.

21 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think the Frazier signing was perhaps mostly about roster management.  To have an excuse not to bring certain guys up.  We are a cheap team and probably most of these decisions come down to long term finances.  Getting extra years of control.

I don't think it's about money. Frazier allows them to either keep Westburg and possibly Cowser down until the beginning of next season, or until they're pretty sure that a partial season won't put either in the race for ROY. They got burned on that with Adley last season.

Stowers is a bit of a cautionary tale when looking at expectations for Cowser. While Cowser is a bit younger, they have put up similar performances in the minors. 

Stowers is a much better hitter vs. lefties. 

I would note that Cowser is off to an extremely patient start this season, and profiles as a much better defensive outfielder. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Stowers is a bit of a cautionary tale when looking at expectations for Cowser. While Cowser is a bit younger, they have put up similar performances in the minors. 

I would note that Cowser is off to an extremely patient start this season, and profiles as a much better defensive outfielder. 

I think he's a bit of a cautionary tale in general about the prospects.

Just because you've put up a 900 OPS in AAA for 400 ABs means you're going to come up and be better than major league regulars, especially right away.

There's no guarantee Cowser is better than Hays or Santander and taking ABs from them could make the team worst.

The same is true of Westburg and Frazier.

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

In the end it’s about whose skills and approach and swing translate better to the majors.  Stowers has long levers and looks like he gets tied up rather easily. He’s also an extreme back foot hitter.  He really leans back with all his weight and lets his upper cut swing go.   He doesn’t seem to have good barrel awareness.   Rutschman is similar in the back foot and upper cut parts but he has a more compact swing and makes much better swing decisions.

Cowser may have issues with off speed but the swing is beautiful, balanced, and direct.    

The stats might be similar but I don’t think they are.

Edited by RZNJ

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think Cowser profiles as a better overall hitter though. More walks, better average.