Oriole fans get ejected from stadium for throwing beer and spitting on Red Sox players in the bullpen

Going Underground

Don't need bad press that was picked up by Sports Illustrated and other national publications. Many nice stories about and up and coming team. But maybe six or seven idiots ruining it for everyone else.  Banned from stadium is a good start.

Bleier, who pitched for the Orioles from 2017 to 2020, said the behavior was uncharacteristic of the fan base he recalls during his time in Baltimore.

“It would be one thing if it were an isolated incident,” Bleier said. “But to happen twice in one game by two different groups of people or whatever is definitely not what I would expect from here, especially from my time here.

“I’ve never seen something like that before in my life. I’ve seen it on TV, like when in Toronto they threw the beer [at Orioles outfielder Hyun Soo Kim in 2016]. I know it’s happened, but I’ve never personally witnessed something like that happening.”

Maybe the stadium authorities could do something to protect the players from fans like this around the bullpen. When I was at the Cubs day game last year, there was people (Cubs fans, no less) who constantly harassed the cubs bullpen pitchers. A guy brought his kids up from Chicago and when the pitchers ignored his begging for autographs and water, and things like that, he turned on them and just kept yelling negative taunting comments at them. At one point, it was accidental but one of the kids standing by the railing accidentally spilled some water while one of the pitchers was getting into the Cubs bullpen cooler and it fell down on him. 

I like the casual interaction with some of the players & staff, but it's a catch 22. Player security is paramount. Maybe the visiting bullpen is too close to the standing room only section above.... a bit too close for the players comfort. None of our fans gave them any issues that day, minus the clumsy accident with the water. (When it happened, the kid's father pulled him back away from the railing and made him move.) Ironically it was the group from Chicago towards their own guys that was the most belligerent. They seemed to expect the bullpen staff to give them attention and sign autographs or something during a live game and got mad when it didn't happen (for obvious reasons),

Edited by Billy F-Face3
  • Upvote 1

I got kicked out of Memorial Stadium once when I was 16.  We drank on the way to the stadium.  Snuck a pint of 151 rum into the stadium.  Got so drunk I couldnt walk and began to make comments about how hot a 14 year old girl was who was sitting in front of me.  The ushers kicked us out.  

Never spit or cursed  but alcohol can make idiots of anyone.   

• Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If you're going to cry, you could at least be factually correct about the things you're crying about.
    • Agree. Unfortunately, they sucked more when he caught.
    • I was just asking for clarification.  So it seems you're asking for changes that aren't able to be implemented in the off-season and can't be evaluated well into next season. That's fine so long as you're ready to be disappointed this off-season.
    • I don’t think the OH brother ship can be categorized as the “average fan”.    I think posters here are quite a bit beyond. I don’t think the average fan is regularly posting on a fan site 
    • Drungo's One Trophy label for the setup of US sports playoffs was new lingo to me recently, and Adley and Gunnar have a long way to go to get near the Active WAR leaders, who also in brilliant careers have zero dogpiles.     Many of them this week we get to see killing themselves for one taste.     Rundown of the top notables, with career rWAR as the top tier of 2024 Clubs begin play today. 86, Mike Trout - his life is his to do with as he chooses, but as a baseball fan I'm rooting for him to go another path before it is too late. 62, Paul Goldschmidt - way past peak.    The 2025 Orioles may be one of few teams with very high playoff odds to want him for a starting role if a Zero Ryan path is charted.    Much more so than any current Oriole, he's been what we hope Coby Mayo might become. 57, Manny Machado - a yardstick of the Dodgers' greatness.    Players like him or Trea Turner or Corey Seager, Andrew Friedman's judgment sometimes is "Nah, not good enough". 56, Nolan Arenado - guaranteed 3/74 on the rest of his contract, perhaps waiting for a buy-side trade.     Declared lame duck GM scenarios are unusual. 52, Jose Ramirez - a player who has devoted himself to one small-market team, and that Club's unquestioned leader, something the Orioles don't have yet.      Some of Adley's teammates and ex-teammates might be salty about recent choices. 52, Aaron Judge - an amazing early 30's peak - problems for the Orioles if he endures like Nelson Cruz or Barry Bonds.    Career health track record has some dings. 51, Bryce Harper - a Manny Machado bookend in my baseball fandom.    They've grown from brash kids to serious professionals - both played much of 2024 less than 100% same as Adley. 49, Francisco Lindor - so close along with Jose Ramirez against the Bryant/Rizzo/Hyde Cubs.     The back strain poetic considering the carrying he's been doing as David Stearns gets ready for his first full off-season running Steve Cohen's club. 49, Andrew McCutchen - nearly the Jose Ramirez of the Pirates.   Nice to see him winding down respectably there.    I'll have generally good wishes for him if he pushes to get to be Paul Skenes teammate for a full season. 44, Giancarlo Stanton - he is upright today, the main thing Brian Cashman cares about.    rWAR has his last 3 seasons worth less than 1 WAR. 43, Shohei Ohtani - one of the greatest players ever has made some choices none of these other greats have to try and tilt the odds in his favor.    His MLB postseason debut is tonight.    Kind of a fun fact rWAR this moment has him at half Trout. It is possible none of these guys escape this list if the Royals or Tigers come through.  
    • Rogers 🤮   if we have that rotation I’m betting our win total takes another 5-10 game step backwards 
  • Popular Contributors