Let’s assume Mateo is an .800+ OPS, 5+ WAR shortstop — now what?

Frobby

I would imagine a lot of us think we are right and can’t understand why logic and facts don’t sway the opposition into understanding they are wrong. Sports, politics, religion, all the same in this manner. But what fun would it be if everyone agreed with me and I couldn’t think how dumb the rest of you are that don’t see everything my way?  One day you will all realize I am right about everything. 🧐

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

One could argue that he is on pace to be the starting shortstop for the AL in the All Star Game.  Let's hope he keeps it up.  

It looks like Bo Bichette is going to have a good year, which unfortunately means that no matter how awesome Mateo is the first half of the season, 99% of Canadian fans will vote him in as the starting SS. The Blue Jays infielder would probably have to be out with an injury for Jorge to start the All Star Game. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

It looks like Bo Bichette is going to have a good year, which unfortunately means that no matter how awesome Mateo is the first half of the season, 99% of Canadian fans will vote him in as the starting SS. The Blue Jays infielder would probably have to be out with an injury for Jorge to start the All Star Game. 

So long as Mateo keeps hitting, Bichette can have all the ASG votes he wants, who cares. It’s not like the best albums win Grammys. 

16 hours ago, 24fps said:

You can commit many sins on a message board.  Only one is unforgivable and that is to invoke the phrase "time will tell" or some variation thereof.  The debate is here and now.

True but time does tell. In regard to Mateo he has been maligned here quite often. Last year he was a waste and a sign of still tanking to start the season. This year he was worthy of cutting, trading for whatever we can get or playing as a good defensive backup.  In both cases he was taking at bats from “better” players. 

Did the Oriole brass know he would become a near gold glove SS?  Did they think he would start the season as a good hitter?  I don’t know. I certainly don’t think they counted on it nor do I think many here believed it would happen. But time has turned him into quite an asset. Regardless of what the O’s do from here with him. 

Time will tell is an easy out in the here and now.  But it also has a way of reducing yesterday's easy call to a bad one.  

Most all of us have been victims of time will tell. 

Edited by foxfield
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

True but time does tell. In regard to Mateo he has been maligned here quite often. Last year he was a waste and a sign of still tanking to start the season. This year he was worthy of cutting or playing as a good defensive backup.  In both cases he was taking at bats from “better” players. 

Did the Oriole brass know he would become a near gold glove SS?  Did they think he would start the season as a good hitter?  I don’t know. I certainly don’t think they counted on it nor do I think many here believed it would happen. But time has turned him. In to quite an asset. Regardless of what the O’s do from here with him. 

Time will tell is an easy out in the here and now.  But it also has a way of reducing yesterday's easy call to a bad one.  

He had the speed and defense calling card.  Did they know last year he would develop into top five defensive player, sticking at one position?  Possibly, but they probably knew he would be good enough there defensively.  

As for this year, he is swinging a lot less which was the book on him dating back to his time as a prospect.  If you could wrangle him into being more selective, chances are it would be to his benefit.  And as it turns out, so far it is.  Can this new approach stick for six months?  That’s the question. 

Was camping yesterday so only just saw yesterday's highlights.     That McKinstry play didn't have the team context stage of Jeter in Oakland, but some fun player context helping uncork the Grayson genie on the Tigers yesterday.

I did also see the other flub of a routine play to set up Tyler Nevin's possible One Shining Moment hail and farewell to MLB competition.

Minus the spitting, I could accept Roberto Alomar's career for Jackson Holliday.    Doesn't he already mostly play 2B?

Edited by Just Regular

51 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

He had the speed and defense calling card.  Did they know last year he would develop into top five defensive player, sticking at one position?  Possibly, but they probably knew he would be good enough there defensively.  

As for this year, he is swinging a lot less which was the book on him dating back to his time as a prospect.  If you could wrangle him into being more selective, chances are it would be to his benefit.  And as it turns out, so far it is.  Can this new approach stick for six months?  That’s the question. 

Not only is he laying off bad pitches, but when the pitch is on the outer part of the plate, he’s taking them to RF consistently instead of trying to pull everything.  I’ve been very impressed with his approach.  Can he avoid falling back into bad habits?   That’s the question.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

True but time does tell. In regard to Mateo he has been maligned here quite often. Last year he was a waste and a sign of still tanking to start the season. This year he was worthy of cutting, trading for whatever we can get or playing as a good defensive backup.  In both cases he was taking at bats from “better” players. 

Did the Oriole brass know he would become a near gold glove SS?  Did they think he would start the season as a good hitter?  I don’t know. I certainly don’t think they counted on it nor do I think many here believed it would happen. But time has turned him into quite an asset. Regardless of what the O’s do from here with him. 

I listened to Eve Rosenbaum on a podcast, and she said that they were checking the wire everyday to see if San Diego would put him on waivers. She didn’t say what they thought he would become, but it seemed clear that he was someone they really wanted to add and thought would eventually become available due to San Diego’s 40 man roster crunch. It could have been hot air, but listening to her, it seemed clear to me that the front office was and remains much higher on Mateo than the majority of this board.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

MLB.com has named Wander Franco as their AL All Star shortstop for April touting his 0.872 OPS and 5 SBs.  (Mateo has a 1.050 OPS and 10 SBs).

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not only is he laying off bad pitches, but when the pitch is on the outer part of the plate, he’s taking them to RF consistently instead of trying to pull everything.  I’ve been very impressed with his approach.  Can he avoid falling back into bad habits?   That’s the question.  

He has definitely looked like a different hitter thus far. The laying off of balls is a significantly welcomed change.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

Time will tell (or just wait etc., etc., etc...) is a response that can apply to any assertion, any time, anywhere.  At best it contributes nothing to the discussion and at worst it kills that discussion in the crib.  Of course time will tell.

No one would dispute that things change and people can't predict the future.  To me that's not the point.  The point is what do you believe now when the thread is active and why?  Time will tell you that you will be wrong more often than not, but so what?  In the meantime, as you wait for your inevitable defeat, you've had the benefit of several other people's point of view to think about.  Opinions also change and being open to that in yourself is a good thing.

If your purpose is to always be right, then you're doing the internet wrong IMO.