DL Hall the 27th man?

Going Underground

What am I missing with DL Hall? I've never seen him in the minors, I'm not a scout, but whenever he's in Baltimore I see nothing special. Low 90's FB, which certifiably puts him in the average velocity range. Can't control anything, terrible pitch efficiency (75 pitches in 3 innings). He's been top-100 for years. It really is a shame because they need to pull Kremer from the rotation and a 24 y.o. top-100 SP should be a good candidate to replace him. 

2 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

What am I missing with DL Hall? I've never seen him in the minors, I'm not a scout, but whenever he's in Baltimore I see nothing special. Low 90's FB, which certifiably puts him in the average velocity range. Can't control anything, terrible pitch efficiency (75 pitches in 3 innings). He's been top-100 for years. It really is a shame because they need to pull Kremer from the rotation and a 24 y.o. top-100 SP should be a good candidate to replace him. 

Did you miss the 7 ks in 9 outs recorded?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Did you miss the 7 ks in 9 outs recorded?

Can't find a better inning than the 8th today for the epitome of DL Hall's mystique: Homer; double; walk; K; K; K.

Those three Ks in a row were on 13 pitches, including 6 change-ups.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Can't find a better inning than the 8th today for the epitome of DL Hall's mystique: Homer; double; walk; K; K; K.

Those three Ks in a row were on 13 pitches, including 6 change-ups.

He's clearly got serious stuff, even with his velo a little down.

You can criticize a lot of things about him, but you can't criticize his stuff.

38 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm pretty sure I saw one 97.  I saw several 96s.  It's probably more fair to say he sat 93-94 than 94-95.

He seems to be making a conscious effort to not throw max velo in an attempt to command better.

yes sir. but he dialed it up when needed. if he started, we win the game.

What a video game writes in DL Hall's scouting report...

"6'2" DL Hall is an intimidating presence on the mound. He projects to have a four pitch repertoire which includes a fastball, slider, changup, and curveball. His stuff should play well above average once he's finished developing. And once he has great command of his pitches he'll rarely give up a long-ball.  If Hall is going to be more than an Emergency starter he'll need to iron out his control problems. "

Seems pretty close to life.

But with that said, I think DL is working out the kinks as we speak. I was encouraged by his after game press conference remarks. He seems to know exactly what he needs to do in order to improve and take that next leap forward, and I'm confident he will succeed.  He'll finally be able to get back to lifting weights, which will help his velocity. And if he can become more efficient throwing strikes to get batters out (finding ways to get batters to do what he wants and get quick ground outs etc), then he should be right on point to becoming part of the starting rotation.

It's a process. Step by step. Day by Day.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

24% swingstr%..65% str%

Didn’t see it but heard a little on the radio and it sounded like they felt he was getting squeezed some in the final inning.

He got two 50/50 called strikes for Ks looking his first inning. 

I watched the whole outing, wanting to believe. He has good stuff, but zero command. He’s got a lot of work to do to even be a relief option this year. Especially considering that Tate is close and Givens is on his way. 

I won’t give up on him because look what we did with Kyle Bradish last year. 

Maybe Im in the minority here....but even though he got banged around a bit...I was very encouraged by DL Hall's outing...he can strike people out and he seemed to really battle even when he was giving up hits...I liked his tenacity. Now maybe these Tiger hitters arent great and he'll get tagged by better hitters on other teams...but 7 K's in 3 innings is eye opening...and if he can mature and learn...I think we have a very valuable pitcher here...Again, maybe some of you dont see it or roll your eyes...but I think he could be a help us a ton...maybe even be a starter at some point...and I think Kremer is regressing anyway...Hall aboard...we've got a pitcher...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Maybe Im in the minority here....but even though he got banged around a bit...I was very encouraged by DL Hall's outing...he can strike people out and he seemed to really battle even when he was giving up hits...I liked his tenacity. Now maybe these Tiger hitters arent great and he'll get tagged by better hitters on other teams...but 7 K's in 3 innings is eye opening...and if he can mature and learn...I think we have a very valuable pitcher here...Again, maybe some of you dont see it or roll your eyes...but I think he could be a help us a ton...maybe even be a starter at some point...and I think Kremer is regressing anyway...Hall aboard...we've got a pitcher...

I'd rather keep up here and pitch in long or middle relief.  He'll have plenty of opportunities since our starters only go 5-6 innings.  I think he'll learn more in the majors than AAA. That was standard operating procedure not that long ago.  If it works, he can go to the rotation.  If not, he seemed to succeed in short relief in September.