Hyde: Mounty is not aiming the ball well

wildcard

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had a couple nice takes early and then gave the at bat away.

He has the ability to take and he has exceptional eye-hand or bat to ball skills. That's what is infuriating with him. He believes he can put a good swing on every pitch he commits to and he is right. However, the farther outside the pitch is, the harder it must be to "direct" the hit ball. I think that is what Hyde is referring to. I believe Mounty can be Beast but he has to change his mindset. Is it possible with advanced metrics to go pitch by pitch and collect the result pitch by pitch? What I am thinking is the pitches say 2-4 inches off the plate, he is barreling but right at the RF so it "looks" like it should have a higher hit probability. If such an analysis could be made I bet he could add 0.50 the AVG, 0.75 to OBP, and 0.100 to OPS by just laying off those farthest away. Bat him higher so he doesn't  he has to be THE RUN PRODUCER????? Do SOMETHING!!!

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

When his barrel%, hard hit %, exit velocity and stuff stop being very good?

As for a replacement, you did see where Kjerstad has been starting at first right?

Does exit velocity score runs? 

I like Mountcastle, but he can’t field and bad luck is fine when it’s a few weeks or a couple months even. I’m not saying you trade him for a 17 year old kid in the DSL or anything. But if the O’s are gonna win, they need someone at 1B who can hit better than a .700 OPS or whatever he’s at now. At the very least, they need someone who can field well.

And I love that Kjerstad is getting reps at 1B btw. 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

Does exit velocity score runs? 

I like Mountcastle, but he can’t field and bad luck is fine when it’s a few weeks or a couple months even. I’m not saying you trade him for a 17 year old kid in the DSL or anything. But if the O’s are gonna win, they need someone at 1B who can hit better than a .700 OPS or whatever he’s at now. At the very least, they need someone who can field well.

And I love that Kjerstad is getting reps at 1B btw. 

His fielding would look better if the other fielders could throw.

As for the extent of luck?

It's luck, if you flip a coin and it comes up heads 500 times in a row it's still 50/50 on flip 501.

Do you think he's cursed?

If Kjrestad pushes him off first fine, although I cringe at spending a 1-2 pick on a 1B.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had a couple nice takes early and then gave the at bat away.

The result matters. I'm ready to see O'Hearn start getting some chances. I'm also interested in the Westburg 1B idea. Mountcastle is better than replacement level but not enough that we shouldn't be exploring options.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His fielding would look better if the other fielders could throw.

As for the extent of luck?

It's luck, if you flip a coin and it comes up heads 500 times in a row it's still 50/50 on flip 501.

Do you think he's cursed?

If Kjrestad pushes him off first fine, although I cringe at spending a 1-2 pick on a 1B.

I completely agree with the first four points here. But if a 1-2 pick playing first can mash the ball? I’ll be able to get over any misgivings very quickly.