Hyde: Mounty is not aiming the ball well

wildcard

1 minute ago, InsideCoroner said:

I completely agree with the first four points here. But if a 1-2 pick playing first can mash the ball? I’ll be able to get over any misgivings very quickly.

I suppose a 1-2 1B that can mash the ball, coming out of that draft, wouldn't be bad.  Since the 1-1 1B isn't doing as well as our resident whipping boy.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The result matters. I'm ready to see O'Hearn start getting some chances. I'm also interested in the Westburg 1B idea. Mountcastle is better than replacement level but not enough that we shouldn't be exploring options.

Do you really think that?

If he was hitting little squibblers that found holes for base hits you'd rather keep him over him hitting the ball on the screws at guys?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I completely agree with the first four points here. But if a 1-2 pick playing first can mash the ball? I’ll be able to get over any misgivings very quickly.

I agree with you, or I guess we better not think of Rutschman ever playing there, either.  If Kjerstad is a good solution at first base, and we have a glut of outfielders, I don't see the problem.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you really think that?

If he was hitting little squibblers that found holes for base hits you'd rather keep him over him hitting the ball on the screws at guys?

I meant in the context of him taking pitches only to strike out. If he can't sustain discipline through the course of an AB it doesn't matter that he had some good takes. He swung at ball four.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I meant in the context of him taking pitches only to strike out. If he can't sustain discipline through the course of an AB it doesn't matter that he had some good takes. He swung at ball four.

And I said as much.

Getting ahead doesn't do you much good if you piss it away.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

His fielding would look better if the other fielders could throw.

I completely agree with this, and couldn't believe in a thread a week or two ago Mountcastle was being criticized for not scooping three throws one game....and no mention of the players who didn't get the throws to first base in the air.  Typically, when that happens, it's a throwing error.....I just think some folks just want to criticize this guy even for things that aren't primarily his fault.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The result matters. I'm ready to see O'Hearn start getting some chances. I'm also interested in the Westburg 1B idea. Mountcastle is better than replacement level but not enough that we shouldn't be exploring options.

2.5 WAR in almost 1,500 career ABs. I guess he’s a little better than replacement level. 

34 minutes ago, waroriole said:

2.5 WAR in almost 1,500 career ABs. I guess he’s a little better than replacement level. 

Personally I would change Mountcastle because he is boring.  He also has a weird grin on his face most of the time.  Got to put a stop to the grin.  Send him down.   Someone has to need a guy who only hits line drive outs and cant walk or catch a bouncing ball.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Personally I would change Mountcastle because he is boring.  He also has a weird grin on his face most of the time.  Got to put a stop to the grin.  Send him down.   Someone has to need a guy who only hits line drive outs and cant walk or catch a bouncing ball.   

Man, I totally agree, the fake smile bothers me for some reason. It wouldn't bother me if he had a .900 OPS but I can't overlook it when he's hitting .730.