Anatomy of the O’s blown saves (2023)

Frobby

6 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The second worst blown save to me was the Baustista blown save grand slam in the 9th to Houston with a 6-3 lead. It was 2nd to the Boston game McKenna dropped fly.

I'm sorry if this was mentioned before!

Those two would be 1A and 1B for me, not sure I could choose which was worse.  The one where Judge homered wouid be no. 3.   

• 3 months later...

I never finished off this thread at the end of the season.  The remaining blown saves:

September 18: Fuji entered the game with the O’s leading the Astros 3-1 in the bottom of the 6th and promptly allowed 3 hits in 1/3 of an inning, all of whom scored, for the blown save.  But the O’s came back a couple of times and eventually scored 3 in the top of the 9th and held on for an 8-7 win.

September 20: Kyle Bradish threw 6 shutout innings and the O’s led the Astros 1-0 after 7.   But Fuji allowed 2 walks in 1/3 of an inning and Mike Baumann allowed a run-tying hit in the 8th, and the O’s yielded another run in the 9th to lose 2-1.

September 22: In a seesaw game, the O’s scored twice in the top of the 9th to take an 8-7 lead over the Guardians, but Cleveland scored 2 on Yennier Cano in the bottom of the 9th as the O’s lost 9-8.   It was the final blown save of the year for the O’s.

So in sum, the O’s blew 31 saves on the year, but only 15 losses resulted.  13 blown saves came in games the O’s eventually won, and another 3 came in losses where the team blew the save twice.

I don’t know this, but I’d bet that the O’s ratio of only 15 losses resulting from 31 blown saves was one of the best in baseball, and probably in Orioles’ history.

• Thanks 1