Moves the Orioles should make tomorrow

seak05

The Orioles need to add someone to the bullpen for the Rays series, and they need to add some offense, so 

1) I would bring up Irvin (he provides length) and send down one of Akin or Bauman (or anyone not named Cano, with an option)

2) Bring up Westburg (Cowser or Norby or Ortiz would all also be fine) and send down our random third catcher

4 minutes ago, seak05 said:

The Orioles need to add someone to the bullpen for the Rays series, and they need to add some offense, so 

1) I would bring up Irvin (he provides length) and send down one of Akin or Bauman (or anyone not named Cano, with an option)

2) Bring up Westburg (Cowser or Norby or Ortiz would all also be fine) and send down our random third catcher

Baumann is not going down for 10 days.

Unlikely that random 3rd catcher is going to be DFA’a already 

6 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Agree re: Baumann, Why not re: 3rd catcher with MLB salary, poor offense and not great defense??? ME played games all winter with Benboom et al. Isn't that enough depth at AAA? We need a 3rd catcher MAYBE 2 times a year, who's bright idea was this addition to the 40 man??? 

Was Hyde a Mil catcher by any chance? I honestly don't know and I'm too frustrated to look.

8 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Agree re: Baumann, Why not re: 3rd catcher with MLB salary, poor offense and not great defense??? ME played games all winter with Benboom et al. Isn't that enough depth at AAA? We need a 3rd catcher MAYBE 2 times a year, who's bright idea was this addition to the 40 man??? 

Was Hyde a Mil catcher by any chance? I honestly don't know and I'm too frustrated to look.

Yes.

57 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

So you think O's should go into the Tampa series with the current bullpen? Not slighting any of the guys, they've just thrown a lot of innings, doesn't need to be Bauman

8 minutes ago, seak05 said:

So you think O's should go into the Tampa series with the current bullpen? Not slighting any of the guys, they've just thrown a lot of innings, doesn't need to be Bauman

The bullpen arm makes sense but I don’t think they want Baumann gone for 10 days either.  Akin is one guy who should be available for a couple tomorrow but if they want someone who can eat the most innings I could see an Akins for Denoyer or Hall but neither is a sure bet to give you more than Akins.  Irvin just went 7 on Friday.

I wonder if Givens is ready?

Probably Givens for Akin for now. 

I don't think they bring up any positional players unless there's an injury. At least not yet. 

I know Hyde was possibly trying to give Gunnar a confidence boost or something, but that was a terrible idea batting him 4th today.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I don't think they bring up any positional players unless there's an injury. At least not yet. 

I know Hyde was possibly trying to give Gunnar a confidence boost or something, but that was a terrible idea batting him 4th today.

Givens has had three shutout appearances at Bowie with no hits allowed and one walk. He has to be close and the bullpen is in dire need of reinforcements.

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Since being demoted, Irvin has given up 17 hits, 8 walks, and 15 earned runs to AAA hitters in less than 13 innings pitched. Whatever he was supposed to figure out by being sent down, he hasn’t. You think that “length” is going to play any better against the Rays or Yankees? 

56 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

He actually came up big in a big spot.  He smoked that ball to SS where they threw out Mateo at 3B.  A little luck there and we have a 2-run cushion for Felix.  Just saying.

15 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Since being demoted, Irvin has given up 17 hits, 8 walks, and 15 earned runs to AAA hitters in less than 13 innings pitched. Whatever he was supposed to figure out by being sent down, he hasn’t. You think that “length” is going to play any better against the Rays or Yankees? 

True, but Irvin’s last start was his best.  The problem is that it was on Friday.  Normal rest would be Wednesday.

10 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

I have no idea what stats you are looking at.  Irvin has been very good in 3 of the 4 starts he has made.  This is the lines of his 4 starts down there.

6 innings 7 hits 1 walk and 2 Earned runs

5 innings 10 hits 1 walk 5 runs

6 innings 7 hits 1 walk 1 earned run

7 innings 4 hits 0 walks 2 earned runs

Total 24 innings 28 hits 3 walks and 10 earned runs 

He has been pretty good in AAA and the big thing seems to be his command has been much better.  The one poor start was a weird game where he was pitching well but then Norfolk scored 12 runs in two innings and he sat a long time in dugout which seemed to hurt him.  

• Thanks 1

At this point, after a tough series loss and the bullpen spent with the team leading our division coming to town tomorrow, the Orioles need bullpen reinforcements, not position players.

It might be time to call up Vespi for help.

Is there some rule in MLB that you can't send a position player down for a pitcher? Because it's still a 26 man roster and in OOTP 24 that has the same rules as real life, you can do that.  If I was the Orioles and I could swap a 3rd catcher for a bullpen arm, I'd do that in a heartbeat for this situation.