Moves the Orioles should make tomorrow

seak05

6 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

So, you want to give up major league commodities and go with Gunnar, Cowser and Westburg in the lineup most nights?

Yes, I would like to sell high on those two commodities. There are plenty fall back options if those guys fail. Stowers, Vavra, O’hearn, Kjerstad, Ortiz. These are the guys Elias drafted and believes in, so let them roll. I am frustrated with Gunnar as well but he will figure it out soon. 

6 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Last trip through Norfolk rotation was:

WED - Rom 99 pitches

THU - Hall 95

FRI - Irvin 81 (covering 7 innings with them)

SAT - Watson 64 / Vallimont 77

SUN - Zimmermann 94

Would it be worth it to swap Rom in for Akin.  It looks like Akin could get 2-3 IP if need be tonight.  

9 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Yes, I would like to sell high on those two commodities. There are plenty fall back options if those guys fail. Stowers, Vavra, O’hearn, Kjerstad, Ortiz. These are the guys Elias drafted and believes in, so let them roll. I am frustrated with Gunnar as well but he will figure it out soon. 

Sell high? There needs to be a valuable return in order to be considered selling high.

We have to see some roster moves before this game, right? Right??

For me:

1. DFA Torrens for... anybody useful. Ortiz? Vavra? Too soon for O'Hearn. Could use the open 40-man spot and select Westburg, Lester, Diaz, or literally anyone besides a 3rd catcher.

2. Option Akin for a fresh long reliever. Akins has been bad and the bullpen needs a fresh arm. Let's kill two birds with one stone and call up Watkins or Zimmermann or Vespi or Gillaspie or Hall. Doesn't really matter who it is. 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

For me:

1. DFA Torrens for... anybody useful. Ortiz? Vavra? Too soon for O'Hearn. Could use the open 40-man spot and select Westburg, Lester, Diaz, or literally anyone besides a 3rd catcher.

2. Option Akin for a fresh long reliever. Akins has been bad and the bullpen needs a fresh arm. Let's kill two birds with one stone and call up Watkins or Zimmermann or Vespi or Gillaspie or Hall. Doesn't really matter who it is. 

I like the idea of DFA'ing the 3rd catcher for Ortiz.

The more I think about it, I believe that they keep Akin for tonight and potentially call up Givens or another arm if Givens is not ready tomorrow. Looking at Akin's game logs, he should be available for a couple of innings if needed tonight. No guarantees on the quality of those innings.

• Upvote 1

They don't need a bullpen arm today.

The only pitchers that are likely unavailable today are Cano and Voth who each pitched 29 innings yesterday, and possibly Perez who has pitched 2 straight days but only threw 6 pitches yesterday.

Baumann and Bautista threw fewer than 20 pitches yesterday and didn't pitch on Saturday, so either could be available.

Baker and Coulombe have pretty much pitched every other game and both threw fewer than 20 pitches on Saturday and didn't pitch yesterday, so both should be available.

Akin threw 11 pitches on Friday and otherwise hasn't pitched since Wednesday so he is the long man.

If Gibson gets blown out, you may need to make a move tomorrow, but shouldn't need to today.

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

They don't need a bullpen arm today.

The only pitchers that are likely unavailable today are Cano and Voth who each pitched 29 innings yesterday, and possibly Perez who has pitched 2 straight days but only threw 6 pitches yesterday.

Baumann and Bautista threw fewer than 20 pitches yesterday and didn't pitch on Saturday, so either could be available.

Baker and Coulombe have pretty much pitched every other game and both threw fewer than 20 pitches on Saturday and didn't pitch yesterday, so both should be available.

Akin threw 11 pitches on Friday and otherwise hasn't pitched since Wednesday so he is the long man.

If Gibson gets blown out, you may need to make a move tomorrow, but shouldn't need to today.

Perez may not be available due to whiplash. ;)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My honest opinion.

DFA Akin,and Torrens

send down Stowers 

Bring up Vespi, Cowser, Westburg. 

Move Hays and Urias for pitching prospects.

So let me make sure I understand this. You want to move Hays, who is tied  with Adley for the 2nd best OPS+ on the team behind Mateo and plays an excellent LF and Urias, who has been the 2nd best hitting infielder on the team, again behind Mateo, and can play all four infield positions for "pitching prospects"? Not even pitching that is ready to help the major league team. For a team that has shown all the signs of being a serious contender, breaking up the lineup for "prospects" seems like a very questionable move, especially given that both players have two more years of team control after this season.

If you are making a move that can help the 2023 Orioles, that is a different story but taking out two of your better players for "prospects" is the sort of move a 2018 or 2019 Orioles team would have been in position to make, not the 2023 Orioles.

18 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My honest opinion.

DFA Akin,and Torrens

send down Stowers 

Bring up Vespi, Cowser, Westburg. 

Move Hays and Urias for pitching prospects.

And watch out for the O's in 2025. Or maybe 2026.

We need starting pitchers who can be efective in, and go deep into, ML games now.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

For me:

I could see Gunnar/Stowers pinch hit for McCann when Mclanahan is out and a righty reliever is in.  Then Torrens would come on to Catch.  

• Upvote 1