Monday, May 8: Showdown at the Yard -- Rays come to town, O's try to win 11th straight series opener

SteveA

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I know that it sucks to watch out guys go through growing pains and it sucks because some feel like we have some guys in the Minors who could help. I’m not the most patient fan that there is and many posters know that I would like the team to trade for an ace. But strangely I’m calm because I keep telling myself it’s part of of the process. These are the best teams and players in the sport that we are competing against. 

….. Now if the deadline passes and we don’t make any significant upgrades I will lose my calm. But I was never expecting the O’s to win the division this year. We don’t have the roster for that yet.

I think it just pisses people off to see TB prove you can contend literally every season with a payroll 1/10 of the Yankees and in a city that doesn’t give a rats arse if they win every game or lose every game.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They really haven't hit the ball that well this year. This is not a good offense overall. I mean, they bat a guy with like .270 OBP 3rd. lol..

They've been able to beat up some bad bullpens for some bad teams. They really haven't had much luck against the better pitchers. 

Adley is in another funk and that doesn't help. There is no one to really pick him up when he's struggling, especially against left-handers.

Are the teams we beat really that bad though.  The A’s and Royals are bad but some of the other dams are at least playing decent ball so far in most games. The Red Sox are now 21-15 on the season.  3-6 vs us and Rays and 18-9 vs everyone else.  The Tigers are 16-18 on year while being 1-9 vs us and Rays and 15-9 vs everyone else this year.  The White Sox have poor record but are 1-9 vs us and Rays and just under .500 vs everyone else.   Some of the teams that we beat early in year and people thought were bad teams are playing decent ball against other teams.  

1 minute ago, BraveOriole said:

I think it just pisses people off to see TB prove you can contend literally every season with a payroll 1/10 of the Yankees and in a city that doesn’t give a rats arse if they win every game or lose every game.

And that horrific ballpark they have.

Yeah Tampa is a pain.   They should be forced out of the sport.   

They play in a giant trash bag.  Hated Tampa since Price came up.  

And we can and hopefully will get there too. 

I don’t think that the Rays have ever had a team this hot/good. They are beating everybody this year at a historic pace. 

Just now, oriolediehard said:

And that horrific ballpark they have.

And still no concrete plans for a new one. TB’s success is utterly bizarre. I grew up in Florida when they were horrible. It’s unbelievable that they’ve become a yearly contender. 

4 minutes ago, BraveOriole said:

Is that the rule or the exception?

The competitive landscape in baseball is a joke, and the O's are treated as cannon fodder by the MLB.