I was worried about our starting rotation

Baltimorecuse

Gibson's tough August capped by clunker against White Sox

So it’s not too early to start thinking about how Baltimore will line up its starting pitchers when it almost assuredly gets there.

While Gibson struggled this month, the young trio of Kyle Bradish (2.12 ERA in five starts), Dean Kremer (2.37 ERA in five starts) and Grayson Rodriguez (2.64 ERA in five starts) each pitched exceptionally well. Those three are proving they could be Baltimore’s best starting options come October as long as they stay fresh -- which the O’s have been aiming to do by utilizing a six-man rotation for the past three weeks.

In the postseason, teams only need three or four starters due to off-days and breaks between series. If Bradish, Kremer and Rodriguez all start playoff games, then there will be fewer potential opportunities for Gibson, Jack Flaherty and others.

As much as it would be an anti-Hyde move, right now I don’t see Gibson making the postseason roster. Only way is if you put multiple long guys in the bullpen, which I guess could be a strategy, especially since we have zero guys reliable to do that in our current bullpen.

5 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

As much as it would be an anti-Hyde move, right now I don’t see Gibson making the postseason roster. Only way is if you put multiple long guys in the bullpen, which I guess could be a strategy, especially since we have zero guys reliable to do that in our current bullpen.

I think he goes to the pen.  He did pitch in relief in the WS last year. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I would be surprised but there are going to be guys left off because we just don’t need as many starters or pitchers in general. Matchups, how guys are pitching, etc..will determine things.

Also, IP could come into play especially for GRod.

Flaherty is the guy I want pitching well. We need his ability to miss bats and get Ks in the playoffs.  Need him pitching well. His upside on the mound is top 3 in our current rotation.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I would be surprised but there are going to be guys left off because we just don’t need as many starters or pitchers in general. Matchups, how guys are pitching, etc..will determine things.

Also, IP could come into play especially for GRod.

Flaherty is the guy I want pitching well. We need his ability to miss bats and get Ks in the playoffs.  Need him pitching well. His upside on the mound is top 3 in our current rotation.

GRod, Bradish and Kremer look like the top 3 starters for the playoffs if they can stay healthy.    The fourth?   Gibson and Flaherty have to pitch better than they have  been.   Maybe its Means.

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

GRod, Bradish and Kremer look like the top 3 starters for the playoffs if they can stay healthy.    The fourth?   Gibson and Flaherty have to pitch better than they have  been.   Maybe its Means.

A lot can change in a month.

The only guy I feel very confident about being in the playoff rotation right now is Bradish. 

And the only reason I don’t say GRod is strictly because of his workload. He isn’t showing any signs of anything right now but will that still be the case 3-4 starts from now?  Hopefully not since he is the guy I want to have the ball game 1 but we’ll see.

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

If they put Gibson in the rotation and dare use the excuse of "post season experience" then they are not paying attention at all. Gibson has 3 innings of picthing in the post season and has never started. Hopefully he can just be in the pen

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The only guy I feel very confident about being in the playoff rotation right now is Bradish. 

And the only reason I don’t say GRod is strictly because of his workload. He isn’t showing any signs of anything right now but will that still be the case 3-4 starts from now?  Hopefully not since he is the guy I want to have the ball game 1 but we’ll see.

I agree that a lot can change.  We’ll just see where things stand when the music stops at the end of the regular season.  

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As elite as we all hope that GrayRod will become (and I think it's fair to suggest that he is on his way since being recalled), the way that Bradish has thrown this year, I can't see anyone else getting the ball in Game 1 of a playoff series. As you point out, a lot can change in even just a few starts (see: Wells, Tyler) but as of right now, KB has taken over the top spot in the rotation and deserves to go in Game 1.

I agree though, that if GrayRod continues to pitch how he's thrown these last eight starts (2.83 ERA), I might prefer him to be that bulldog in Game 1.

Bradish and Wells taking a step forward (and even Dean) are huge developments for the O's going forward. Coming into the year I was very hopeful that those three guys would continue to progress and they've done exactly that. I don't think that we could reasonably ask for more from them (I mean, sure, we could but the three of Kremer, Bradish and GrayRod are throwing like top 30 starting pitchers right now).

I'd feel good about either Bradish or GrayRod going game 1. Hell, the way that Dean has pitched, if it aligned that he was to pitch in Game 1, I'd probably feel alright about that as well, especially if it's against the Jays. 

The six incumbents plus John Means - just as a thought exercise, who do you think will be the priority plays for the Tampa series.

Its 2 weeks away, and we now have a view of Flaherty's return spot.     Without any tweaks, it looks like it lines up

D'Backs - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty

Angels - Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Red Sox - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty

Cardinals - Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Rays - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty, Grayson

Means throws tonight on an Orioles off day between Gibson and Irvin.     Fenway and opening up the Tampa showdown would be immediate high leverage on Means if the Irvin slot is the play, and Gibson endures.

As always flying East there is an off day between Angels and Red Sox.     I'd probably think about skipping the 6th starter and letting Bradish open the Boston series.      That would move him into the Tampa opener, and let it cycle around to Kremer again before the Sunday finale.

I believe good chance we'll see full October tactics on both sides the Tampa series.     Inefficient starters won't get much rope.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

If they put Gibson in the rotation and dare use the excuse of "post season experience" then they are not paying attention at all. Gibson has 3 innings of picthing in the post season and has never started. Hopefully he can just be in the pen

If Gibson is on the postseason roster and I hope not, the only way he should be used is to save the bullpen if a game gets out of hand early. He is exactly who we thought he was going to be. An innings eater with a +5 ERA. That's not what you need in the playoffs. That game yesterday was one of the most frustrating games of the year. No way Gibson or Voth should be on the postseason roster. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The six incumbents plus John Means - just as a thought exercise, who do you think will be the priority plays for the Tampa series.

Its 2 weeks away, and we now have a view of Flaherty's return spot.     Without any tweaks, it looks like it lines up

D'Backs - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty

Angels - Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Red Sox - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty

Cardinals - Grayson, Kremer, Gibson

Rays - Irvin, Bradish, Flaherty, Grayson

Means throws tonight on an Orioles off day between Gibson and Irvin.     Fenway and opening up the Tampa showdown would be immediate high leverage on Means if the Irvin slot is the play, and Gibson endures.

As always flying East there is an off day between Angels and Red Sox.     I'd probably think about skipping the 6th starter and letting Bradish open the Boston series.      That would move him into the Tampa opener, and let it cycle around to Kremer again before the Sunday finale.

I believe good chance we'll see full October tactics on both sides the Tampa series.     Inefficient starters won't get much rope.

I think your alignment is right.. at least it should be what they do.

My speculation of Means throwing tomorrow against the DBacks is incorrect if he is throwing tonight. I think it's still possible that he could take Gibson's next start, which as things are aligned right now, would be against the Angels in Anaheim. I would prefer that Means throw his first game against the dumpster fire that is the Angels vs. throwing against the BoSox in Boston. I still anticipate Irvin vacating his spot in the rotation vs. Gibson though, which I think most would agree is a mistake if the consideration is between Gibson and Irvin.

Irvin could throw tomorrow then they could option him (I think they can do that up to five times in a year) for Means, bump all of the other starters up a day to keep them on schedule due to the off days, which would allow them to skip Gibson's turn through the rotation at least once. Optioning Irvin would simply be for theatrics and show due to the expanded rosters. They option him for Means then bring Irvin back for his next scheduled start as one of their two players to get the roster to 28. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Kremer’s a lock too.