Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The thing that turns me on about the O's is the team is largely homegrown.  There's no $100m superstars although AR and Gunnar have the tools and talent to be that.  

I was thinking about Gunnar 2 nights ago and comparing his home runs stats with the all time greatw on the all time Home Run list at his age. Gunnar truly has an opportunity to do something special on that list. 

I don't want to get ahead of myself because Gunnar still has to do the things I believe he can do, and I don't want to set any pressurized expectations on him. Just want him to play, compete, and have fun from making the most of the talent that he's been blessed with.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

The Dodgers have the talent to make it happen IMO. Cartaya (C), Busch (2B/OF), Rushing (C), Pages (C), Sheehan (RHP),  Pepiot (RHP), and Frasso (RHP) are all top 100 prospects. They also have guys like Vargas (1B/3B/2B) and Lux who are still young (prospectish) and have some shine, even though they haven't broken out yet at the MLB level.  

The Angels only have three prospects in the top 100, and two of them are catchers.  So I'd say something like Bush, Pepiot, and Frasso for Ohtani and Drury (salary dump) might be enough to get it done. And then the Dodgers can sign him to a long term deal as part of the trade. 

Here’s the thing that I think Friedman and the Dodgers will strongly consider - why pay that much prospect capital for him now when we can just sign him in the offseason (if that is desired)? 

The Dodgers really value their prospects too, they are not in the habit of giving their young players away. 

Plus, even with Ohtani, they know that they would still be underdogs to beat the Braves and win a World Series. I don’t think that they saw this season with great World Series expectations given their roster construction and all the youth that they had coming.

20 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Os are not, should not, will not trade for or sign Ohtani. 

Getting him in a trade would feel a little bit like when we got Reggie Jackson which in a different world and time was shocking to me as an Os fan. 

Not in any way comparing the two, just how improbable and incongruous it was to see him in an Os hat 

21BEC9A0-C12C-4DA7-B23E-A0322EE6F8B5.jpeg

If we could get the second half of the season from Ohtani, that we got from Reggie that year we might win it all. 

Looking up to see if memory serves…lol

It does. Held out early only played 134 games. Hit 27 HRs drove in 91. He wanted to stay.  His year in Baltimore was the year before Eddie. It was a good team. 

Edited by foxfield

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Anyone who wants Ohtani is going to have to give up a package like the Padres gave for Jaun Soto last year. But since his contract is up and he's a rental, that could lower what the Angels can get.

At the same time, the Angels Owner still doesn't want to trade him so that might balance it back to the Padres Soto type of package. It would have to be an offer the owner couldn't refuse for anyone to get Ohtani by the trade deadline. The Angels owner does not think strategic in how to build a winning franchise. He just wants the star power that guys like Trout and Ohtani provide.

I agree that the Angels do not want to trade Ohtani.

However, I do not agree/believe a Soto like package will be out there for them. Soto had 2 1/2 years left before FA, Ohtani will have 2 months. Even though Ohtani is the better/greater player, there is a limit to the value proposition given the very short amount of time that he will likely be with that team.

Besides only the Orioles, Dodgers, and Diamondbacks would be in a position to offer anything like what the Pads gave up for Soto. And I don’t see any of them really doing that. The Angels would really not want to trade Ohtani in market to the Dodgers and the Dodgers value their prospects and I don’t think they believe that they could be the Braves this year even with Ohtani. So, if they want him they can just wait until the offseason to sign him. 

Finally, I don’t see the Orioles or DBacks being willing to part with Soto like compensation for Ohtani. Neither org is built/set up that way financially to resign him and absorb that many losses of young assets.

25 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

The thing that turns me on about the O's is the team is largely homegrown.  There's no $100m superstars although AR and Gunnar have the tools and talent to be that.  

You don’t like players to make money that their talents and the marketplace says they’ve earned in a supply and demand capitalistic country? I’m sure you already know this, but the money not paid to players goes to the even much more rich owners. Would you rather that they get more billions?

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

If we could get the second half of the season from Ohtani, that we got from Reggie that year we might win it all. 

Looking up to see if memory serves…lol

Just to clarify, Jackson wasn't a deadline deal.

Just now, oriole said:

Obviously the answer is to skip out on the rental and just sign Ohtani in the offseason. 

But then you don't get him for the remainder of the seasons and someone you might be competing with in the playoffs does.  Let's say he's worth 3 wins over in house options over the rest of the year.  You add three wins to the Orioles' tally and you might get a divisional title.  You certainly greatly increase the chances of hosting the WC series.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But then you don't get him for the remainder of the seasons and someone you might be competing with in the playoffs does.  Let's say he's worth 3 wins over in house options over the rest of the year.  You add three wins to the Orioles' tally and you might get a divisional title.  You certainly greatly increase the chances of hosting the WC series.

That's what I was thinking and obviously, it will be harder to sign him in the offseason, as he gets to choose where he goes. Theoretically, he has no say as to where he gets traded to and the Angels can just send him to whoever has the best offer. We definitely have the best set of prospects if we wanted to do it. 

21 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was thinking about Gunnar 2 nights ago and comparing his home runs stats with the all time greatw on the all time Home Run list at his age. Gunnar truly has an opportunity to do something special on that list. 

I don't want to get ahead of myself because Gunnar still has to do the things I believe he can do, and I don't want to set any pressurized expectations on him. Just want him to play, compete, and have fun from making the most of the talent that he's been blessed with.

You don't get the existential pressure in Baltimore you get in NYC or Boston.  Gunnar needs to take it easy on himself.  

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

That's what I was thinking and obviously, it will be harder to sign him in the offseason, as he gets to choose where he goes. Theoretically, he has no say as to where he gets traded to and the Angels can just send him to whoever has the best offer. We definitely have the best set of prospects if we wanted to do it. 

It is certainly not definitive that “we have the best set of prospects”. That statement is very debatable. The LA Dodgers just 2 days ago (when I last checked) had more top 100 prospects than us. I believe they had 9 which beat our 8 on MLB’s top 100 prospect list.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It is certainly not definitive that “we have the best set of prospects”. That statement is very debatable. The LA Dodgers just 2 days ago (when I last checked) had more top 100 prospects than us. I believe they had 9 which beat our 8 on MLB’s top 100 prospect list.

And the O's prospect list is extremely position player heavy.  Assuming Grayson isn't available what pitcher can the O's offer that would really entice a team?