Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Except it’s not..at all.  Maybe the Angels offer the most money if they could have offered whatever they wanted.

That contract wasn’t on the table for him to turn down.

Because he did not pursue it.  If he had, it most certainly would have been.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we are going to make a playoff push, we need to add players. The teams we are contending with will not have the same rosters that they have now. We need to keep up. 

1. If Ohtani is just a rental, would you trade for him?

2. How much would be willing to give up for three months? What's your highest offer? 

3. If you were the Angel's, would you accept that offer?

No. Not at all. If we are going to be in the big game hunting market, there are better ways to use our org assets/prospects. Why not use it on a guy like Alcantara who is already signed to a long term extremely team friendly deal? Ohtani will be the definition of a short term rental because you know that he is almost assured to be a Dodger or Met when the time comes for him to be on the market. 

IMO - With the kind of roster that we have, we need to be looking to acquire a piece that can help us for more than the short term. But someone who can help for multiple post seasons. Or big league roster isn’t even optimized yet. I don’t want to give up pieces to boast just this season, when we are more likely to better the next few seasons after this.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

No. Not at all. If we are going to be in the big game hunting market, there are better ways to use our org assets/prospects. Why not use it on a guy like Alcantara who is already signed to a long term extremely team friendly deal? Ohtani will be the definition of a short term rental because you know that he is almost assured to be a Dodger or Met when the time comes for him to be on the market. 

IMO - With the kind of roster that we have, we need to be looking to acquire a piece that can help us for more than the short term. But someone who can help for multiple post seasons. Or big league roster isn’t even optimized yet. I don’t want to give up pieces to boast just this season, when we are more likely to better the next few seasons after this.

All good points. Do you think you can get Alcantara with the same assetts required to get an Ohtani rental, due to Alcantara being locked in long term?

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Fair enough.  I don't currently occupy the man's headspace.

I'd be willing to wager, however, that he'll sign on the West Coast.  The LA teams, and SEA being the favorites.

Oh, if I was a betting man, I’d say the West Coast or NY.  But I’m not a betting man.  

Gotta figure Ohtani wants to win, right?

He's a private guy who doesn’t want the spotlight(or at least stays out of it) even his personal life is largely unknown although people believe he is dating a pro softball player who is from Hawaii.

No one knows what drives him other than he loves the game. 

How could Baltimore appeal to him?  Well, if they play their cards right, this team is set up to contend for a decade. He is surrounded by young talent that can grow with him.

Great baseball city, great park and certainly conducive to his swing and power.

There is a good size Asian population in the Baltimore area and DC isn’t far away and there is a greater Asian population there, if that is something that is important to him. 

It’s also a very easy media here.

So I can see a scenario where he would like it but overall, this team isn’t paying the money and I agree he’s likely to end up on the west coast. I do think the Rangers are sleeper though.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

All good points. Do you think you can get Alcantara with the same assetts required to get an Ohtani rental, due to Alcantara being locked in long term?

I think both will costs a ton because of demand. But Alcantara probably more. The Angels are probably going to want a Holliday or Gunnar in the deal OR at the least 2/3 top 100 guys. If I have to consider giving any of that up, I would rather do it for someone like Alcantara who may costs 1 of Gunnar or Holliday plus 2/3 top 100 guys.

Either way neither will be "cheap".

14 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I think it will take Holliday to even start a conversation. Probably more like Holliday and Hall. Provided we are close to the division lead and more or less guaranteed a wild card I would be very very tempted to do something like Cowser and Ortiz.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Maybe last year, but not this season when he's basically two month rental. 

15 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If we are going to make a playoff push, we need to add players. The teams we are contending with will not have the same rosters that they have now. We need to keep up. 

1. If Ohtani is just a rental, would you trade for him?

2. How much would be willing to give up for three months? What's your highest offer? 

3. If you were the Angel's, would you accept that offer?

The only way this would make sense is if the O's were able to lock him up to a long term contract. They'll never commit that type of money to one player (goes against Elias strategy) so it's really a mout point. I think if we make a "big" move for a SP, it's going to be for someone like Lance Lynn, if Elias believes he still has something left in the tank. 

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Alcantara should (and probably would) cost considerably more for that very reason. 

6 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Alcantara should (and probably would) cost considerably more for that very reason. 

I don't disagree. I am not dogmatic to the point that I believe that the Orioles have to target just him. But my point in objecting to pursuing Ohtani is because he is a very short term solution. We need a longer term fix for our starting pitching hole at the front of the rotation. If we are going to spend trade capital, I would rather acquire a pitcher who can help us for the next few post seasons, not just this one where the rest of our roster isn't even optimized yet.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Gotta figure Ohtani wants to win, right?

He's a private guy who doesn’t want the spotlight(or at least stays out of it) even his personal life is largely unknown although people believe he is dating a pro softball player who is from Hawaii.

No one knows what drives him other than he loves the game. 

How could Baltimore appeal to him?  Well, if they play their cards right, this team is set up to contend for a decade. He is surrounded by young talent that can grow with him.

Great baseball city, great park and certainly conducive to his swing and power.

There is a good size Asian population in the Baltimore area and DC isn’t far away and there is a greater Asian population there, if that is something that is important to him. 

It’s also a very easy media here.

So I can see a scenario where he would like it but overall, this team isn’t paying the money and I agree he’s likely to end up on the west coast. I do think the Rangers are sleeper though.

Could he be convinced that crabcakes are superior to sushi? 

15 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Elias was overheard saying his arm would play at second. The Orioles will work him into the infield rotation on his non-pitching days.  Maybe a few starts in right field. 

And where was this overheard?  When someone's arm "will play at second," that usually means it doesn't play at third or short.  Would love to know where this nugget of info came from....

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Could he be convinced that crabcakes are superior to sushi? 

Depends on where you get either. Most crabcakes out there taste terrible because most restaurants don’t know how to make them.

And there are some damn good sushi restaurants in the Baltimore area, especially up in Cockeysville.