Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

21 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Lance Lynn is definitely a joke and Flaherty doesn't move the needle either, but I would be fine with Giolito or Montgomery as well.

Get one of Stroman, Snell, Eduardo Rodriguez, Giolito, or Montgomery and another 7th/8th inning reliever and lets ride.

Agreed. I think we can get both without shelling out much of our prospect stockpile. We probably wouldn't need to trade any of the key guys, maybe not even Ortiz. It'd be nice if at least one of the pickups isn't just a straight rental, preferably the reliever (since the cost is probably lower).  Gioloto and Brooks Raley from NYM? Raley has a team option for 2024 and is a LHP. Has pitched in the postseason. 

Edit- Sorry thought this was the trades thread, anyway.

Edited by G54377

40 minutes ago, slakattack said:

Wasn't that part of Nolan Ryan's compensation package with the Rangers...a piece of the team?

He owns the Round Rock Express (the AAA team here in the Austin area).  They were the Ranger's AAA team for many years before switching to the Astros a couple years ago.  I've never seen anything official that future ownership rights were part of Ryan's compensation package, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of handshake agreement that he'd get a discount or assistance with putting together an ownership group (big money here in Texas is the truest definition of a Good Ol' Boys Club).

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Shohei hit his 35th home run last night. Ohtani has a very real chance of breaking Aaron Judge's AL home run record this season.

If he played every day in Camden Yards, the probability of him breaking that record would increase significantly thanks to the Flag Court.

If he played in Yankee Stadium, Judge would be batting behind him.

47 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I like your idea. However, I think that there is a difference between Stroman/Snell/Eduardo Rodriguez and Giolito/Montgomery. I would rather have one from the first group.

Yeah, all things being equal. I listed them in order of preference and that is the clear tier dividing line. I imagine the prospect cost would be less though. If the first group cost us a package with Ortiz as the best piece and the second group cost us a package with Norby as the best piece, I wouldn't mind going with the second group.

All 5 should be traded though.

5 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, all things being equal. I listed them in order of preference and that is the clear tier dividing line. I imagine the prospect cost would be less though. If the first group cost us a package with Ortiz as the best piece and the second group cost us a package with Norby as the best piece, I wouldn't mind going with the second group.

All 5 should be traded though.

I may be in the minority here, but I’m okay trading Ortiz. If the O’s don’t want to bring up Holliday to start next year, Gunnar/Westburg/Urias are fine for a starting infield to begin next year IMO. Gunnar has shown that he can handle SS thus making Ortiz not much of a necessity.

Remember that the team you're dealing with is going to have system needs and preferences too, For example, I'd put heavy money the Cubs wouldn't want Ortiz and probably not Norby as their middle infield is locked up for a long time. They'd likely be targeting a 1B/3B close to the majors(Not Mouncastle), even if it had to be an expanded deal. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I may be in the minority here, but I’m okay trading Ortiz. If the O’s don’t want to bring up Holliday to start next year, Gunnar/Westburg/Urias are fine for a starting infield to begin next year IMO. Gunnar has shown that he can handle SS thus making Ortiz not much of a necessity.

I don't think Ortiz is a necessity, I think he will be a hell of a luxury as a super utility man making the minimum and will prevent them from having to waste a roster spot on a no-hit utility man behind the core infielders Gunnar / Westburg and Holliday by the end of next season. He could step in for any of the three without the team losing a beat.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Snell/Hader is the package to get…but do we match up well with the Padres and will they even sell?

They aren't going to fully sell, but it is foolish to hang on to pending free agents when you are 8 games back at the trade deadline. I think they have to trade those guys and replenish their farm system a bit.

Just now, MurphDogg said:

They aren't going to fully sell, but it is foolish to hang on to pending free agents when you are 8 games back at the trade deadline. I think they have to trade those guys and replenish their farm system a bit.

You would think but i don’t think they decide to sell until they sell unless there is a complete collapse over the next 5-10 days.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I don't think Ortiz is a necessity, I think he will be a hell of a luxury as a super utility man making the minimum and will prevent them from having to waste a roster spot on a no-hit utility man behind the core infielders Gunnar / Westburg and Holliday by the end of next season. He could step in for any of the three without the team losing a beat.

Ortiz is also a nice insurance policy with a high floor due to his defensive skills if Westburg fails to perform at the MLB level. This isn’t a knock on Westburg. I’m always reluctant to just assume that a prospect will succeed at the major league level (outside of the Adley/Gunnar/Holliday types) because he performed in the minor leagues.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Remember that the team you're dealing with is going to have system needs and preferences too, For example, I'd put heavy money the Cubs wouldn't want Ortiz and probably not Norby as their middle infield is locked up for a long time. They'd likely be targeting a 1B/3B close to the majors(Not Mouncastle), even if it had to be an expanded deal. 

Then they are not a good match and you move on.