Ohtani Rental?

Bahama O's Fan

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Remember, that Babe Ruth was born in Baltimore and began his baseball career as a Baltimore Oriole. Shohei Ohtani is often said to be our generation's Babe Ruth. If the Orioles were to acquire him, it would be like correcting the mistake of selling his contract to the Red Sox, and righting a wrong that has been 109 years in the making.

Not gonna lie, while I'm usually pretty level headed about most things with the Orioles, when it comes to the remote possibility of getting Shohei Ohtani on the team, I'm much more of a dreamer and excitable... I totally put the fan goggles on.

I think the Orioles were a minor league team at that point.  Selling Babe to Boston was not a mistake needing correction.   

37 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Not saying they should do it, but if they did, it would probably take something like this

SS Ortiz, C Basallo, 1B Mountcastle, LHP Hall

I would do that. It is almost spare pieces for the Os but they are pretty decent pieces. Angels fans couldn’t ge too mad about that return. 

49 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

I think the Orioles were a minor league team at that point.  Selling Babe to Boston was not a mistake needing correction.   

Correct. The Orioles of the International League essentially existed to find young talent, cultivate it and then sell it to the professional clubs at a substantial profit.

I've changed my tune on Ohtani a bit because of Mullins' injury and Hicks being day-to-day.  I think I'd rather trade for 2 players at this point.  Montgomery/Snell and Bellinger would be great.  I'm fine playing Bellinger in LF or RF.  He's got a cannon and he's rangy enough to cover in front of Walltimore.

I'd still love for him to be on the Orioles but between the team's needs it feels like other moves might be more prudent.  Even Bellinger by himself and a reliever would still be a big help.

Edited by Hallas

7 hours ago, Winter said:

Because Elias doesnt read off spending 2 top 100s on a 2-3mo rental. 

When you look at players like Norby and Ortiz, though very good prospects and potentially fine Major Leaguers one day, they really have no place on the Orioles long term. At best they would be back ups most likely or utility players. Though an argument can be made that the O’s could keep one and trade Westburg instead.

Either way they are excess. Maybe you don’t trade them for Ohtani. But you should be strongly considering moving them for somebody. In the case of Ortiz, he is already 25 and likely into his prime years, but will never be better than Holliday (even though he is 5 1/2 years older). 

IMO it makes little sense to hold on to ever single “top 100” just for the sake of holding on to them. 

It’s time for us to discontinue with hedging and we need to begin making some decisions. The Orioles have a legitimate shot at going to the World Series this season. You don’t play around, pass, or punt on that because you are afraid that someone who won’t be able to find a place here might go on to be good elsewhere. 

IMO all of the lower top 100 guys (not named Holliday, Kjerstad, Cowser, and probably Mayo) are replaceable. With the way we have drafted and developed over the last 4/5 years and with the emphasis on international development, we will be able to replace all of them. 

IMO, you cannot replace “special” but you can replace good. 

3 hours ago, Hallas said:

I've changed my tune on Ohtani a bit because of Mullins' injury and Hicks being day-to-day.  I think I'd rather trade for 2 players at this point.  Montgomery/Snell and Bellinger would be great.  I'm fine playing Bellinger in LF or RF.  He's got a cannon and he's rangy enough to cover in front of Walltimore.

I'd still love for him to be on the Orioles but between the team's needs it feels like other moves might be more prudent.  Even Bellinger by himself and a reliever would still be a big help.

Or you could just call up Kjerstead now and get him acclimated for October if Hicks goes on the IL. Remember, Frazier can play right or left in short porch spots too.

3 hours ago, Hallas said:

We have plenty of outfield depth and Mullins should be back for the playoffs. 

The issue with Ohtani is he hasn’t been pitching well and has a blister.  You don’t want to pay for a pitcher and hitter and it turns out the pitcher can’t pitch.  His last three outings he has given up 5,4, and 5 runs.  We have guys like that already on the staff.  You can’t be sure that isn’t happening because of the blister. 

8 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Couple thought:

a. I don’t think it is the Yankees we would be competing against here, it’s the Dodgers and they have a great farm system.

b. Whether or not it is the right thing to do, if Elias could get Ohtani without giving up major league pieces, that would have to make the Orioles the odds on favorite to win the ALCS. Right?

a. That makes sense. The Yankees simply do not possess the organizational talent to pull off a trade like this unless the Angels are willing to give him to them and bypass likely much better offers. The Yankees do not have much talent (beyond uber expensive stars in their Major a league club and their Minor Leagues don’t losses much talent either). The Dodgers on the other hand have more to 100 prospects than us (the only team). However, I do not think that the Angles are interested in handing Ohtani over to the Dodgers as they would in essence be nuking their market share. Plus the Dodgers (under Friedman) very much value their prospects. Why would they surrender 3/4 to 100 prospects now when they can simply wait until the offseason and sign Ohtani? They are not facing the closing of a window. They have stars in their prime who will probably be just as good next year and the next few years. And like us they are loaded with young talent.

b) The answer to that question is yes. With Ohta we would be very well positioned to beat all/any of our AL opponents in the postseason. Nothing is a guarantee, but we would definitely be the favorite.

Lastly, with 2/3 top 100 guys (not names Holliday, Kejerstad, Cowser, maybe Mayo), zi think a package like that plus a couple of Major Leaguers like Mountcastle and Urias could get us there. It could be a 5 for 1 and in way damage our present or future.

7 hours ago, Number5 said:

Very doubtful.  Holding him results in a comp draft pick.  Playoff chances exist, but aren't likely.  Any fan complaints they hear about trading him would pale in comparison to hearing the complaints for years about not getting better than one comp pick for him.

Most general fans of the Angels probably prefer to see Ohtani on the Angels the rest of the season.   The season ticket holders.    

To me the Ohtani stuff is just a lot of mindless speculation. I don’t see any reason to think the Angels aren’t attempting to sign him long term. If they’re savvy enough to trade him for a haul then resign him, all the more credit to them. I think the most likely scenario is that he isn’t traded and resigns with the Angels. 

Edited by waroriole

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

But isn’t Ohtani 2 players? Also, I can’t see how Bellinger could help us more than Ohtani. I could understand not wanting to pay the increased cost, but in terms of ability, they are not close IMO. Maybe there is something I’m not considering?

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

When you look at players like Norby and Ortiz, though very good prospects and potentially fine Major Leaguers one day, they really have no place on the Orioles long term. At best they would be back ups most likely or utility players. Though an argument can be made that the O’s could keep one and trade Westburg instead.

Either way they are excess. Maybe you don’t trade them for Ohtani. But you should be strongly considering moving them for somebody. In the case of Ortiz, he is already 25 and likely into his prime years, but will never be better than Holliday (even though he is 5 1/2 years older). 

IMO it makes little sense to hold on to ever single “top 100” just for the sake of holding on to them. 

It’s time for us to discontinue with hedging and we need to begin making some decisions. The Orioles have a legitimate shot at going to the World Series this season. You don’t play around, pass, or punt on that because you are afraid that someone who won’t be able to find a place here might go on to be good elsewhere. 

IMO all of the lower top 100 guys (not named Holliday, Kjerstad, Cowser, and probably Mayo) are replaceable. With the way we have drafted and developed over the last 4/5 years and with the emphasis on international development, we will be able to replace all of them. 

IMO, you cannot replace “special” but you can replace good. 

Nail on the head. A) top 100 guys fail all the time B) With how this team is developing any top 100 guys we lose can be replaced. Fabian, Beavers, Bradley could all be in there one day. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

To me the Ohtani stuff is just a lot of mindless speculation. I don’t see any reason to think the Angels aren’t attempting to sign him long term. If they’re savvy enough to trade him for a haul then resign him, all the more credit to them. I think the most likely scenario is that he isn’t traded and resigns with the Angels. 

I'd probably agree with this had Ohtani not recently come out and say that he regrets not having done his homework to find out just how bad the Angels were before signing with them.  That certainly gives off a negative vibe as to whether he re-signs with them IMO.