Santander Back to Back Starts at Firstbase

RVAOsFan

Santander is starting for a second straight night at first base after never starting an MLB game there.  In the same lineup tonight O'Hearn is going to DH.

Couple thoughts:

1) O'Hearn pack your bags

2) Cowser will be in Baltimore sooner than later

What am I missing?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Santander is starting for a second straight night at first base after never starting an MLB game there.  In the same lineup tonight O'Hearn is going to DH.

Couple thoughts:

What am I missing?

I think you've nailed it.   O'Hearn's only real value was as a backup 1B.   If Santander proves he is up to that task (and the occasional start there), that frees up a roster spot.   AND it also means fewer games in the outfield for Anthony as he will play some first as well as DH.   So it opens up a spot for Cowser.   Think it's gonna be soon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Would Santander playing a serviceable backup 1st base create enough roster flexibility to call up Cowser and Westburg? Send down O'hearn and Vavra?

Cowser without question (slide Santander to everyday DH). Not sure where Westburg would find the ABs (don't think they would call him up strictly to platoon vs LHP).

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Both O’hearn/Vavra aren’t playing much. How do you get Westburg/Cowser enough playing time with them gone? You still need to get rid of Frazier too or assume someone gets injured.

It has only been a couple days but Vavra has been starting since Stowers went down. And there is no one else on the roster who should logically absorb those ABs.

7 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Would Santander playing a serviceable backup 1st base create enough roster flexibility to call up Cowser and Westburg? Send down O'hearn and Vavra?

It should.

BTW, I hope this is a sign that the Os are starting to realize that Mounty isn’t a guy that should play 155+ games.

Of course, he could have some minor injury we don’t know about yet.

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Couple thoughts:

What am I missing?

I think this bodes well for Cowser coming up for sure. If he can cover down on first base adequately, it allows Mountcastle to go to more of a part-time 1B/DH type against righties.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It should.

BTW, I hope this is a sign that the Os are starting to realize that Mounty isn’t a guy that should play 155+ games.

Of course, he could have some minor injury we don’t know about yet.

I think this is definitely a sign Mounty will be starting less games.  On the flip side, the thought of bringing him in late in a game as PH when we need a HR to tie or take the lead gets me excited. A lot more excited than Vavra stepping up to the plate. 

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Couple thoughts:

What am I missing?

I like this call. 

The FO knows it cannot keep using Vavra as a COF to get Santander or Hays off their feet. They eventually will have to try Cowser. They already tried Stowers and didn't like what they saw.

4 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Any potential playing time Westburg would get only gets reduced when Urias comes back - unless Urias is dealt. 

Can Santander dig Gunner's throws out of the dirt?

I went to Harrisburg on Saturday night and caught a Baysox game.  Kjerstad has been playing 1B a few more weeks than Santander and he struggled with bad throws in the dirt.  So I am not going to hold my breath for Santander to do it.