Friday May 19: Orioles at Blue Jays, televised exclusively on Apple+ TV

SteveA

4 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Yeah, and is there data on the effects of getting up a zillion times but not coming in vs just coming in? I suspect the “brain trust” has tried to answer that question.

I don't know whether there are data, or what those data reveal, but I'm pretty sure that having Bautista throw 25 pitches to some good ML hitters tonight will affect his availability, and maybe his performance, in the next couple of games. It's a scarce resource, and Hyde sometimes spends it foolishly.

5 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

What is the reasoning behind using Bautista?  Because he didn't pitch yesterday he's available today? Yeah, the BJs are an explosive offensive team, but they're going to be an explosive offensive team all weekend.

I really don't get it.

Before Frazier's HR it was a two run game so Bautista warmed up. After Frazier's HR your choice is rushing a guy into the game like they did with Voth or using Bautista. The timing sucked but the last time they used Voth they ended up having to burn both guys. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

They have some good players but so does every AL East team.  I don’t see them as more talented than the Rays, Yankees or us. 

They've got the borderline ace which we lack, and the big MOOB. I think I would take Adley over any of their players (although if Chapman continues hitting .300/.888 you have to think that's good for some MVP votes). I would take our bullpen over theirs. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't know whether there are data, or what those data reveal, but I'm pretty sure that having Bautista throw 25 pitches to some good ML hitters tonight will affect his availability, and maybe his performance, in the next couple of games. It's a scarce resource, and Hyde sometimes spends it foolishly.

The thinking must have been that Bautista will not be needed tomorrow, so he would be sitting four days. Relievers need regular work.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

They have some good players but so does every AL East team.  I don’t see them as more talented than the Rays, Yankees or us. 

Toronto has yesterday's stars while the Orioles has tomorrow's. That's the difference.

• Upvote 1