Gregg Olson Review

accinfo

15 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Yep me too. And he did it for both sides. I’ve wondered if MASNs graphic needs to be recalibrated. A lot of times it looks bad on tv but Ump Scorecard will have it being much less egregious  

The top of the MASN box is too low.  The strike zone is defined as the midpoint between the top of the uniform pants and the top of the shoulder.  But the box MASN puts up is barely above the top of the uniform pants, if at all.

On the other hand, the problem with the ump yesterday was inside/outside, not up/down, for the most part.  I’m expecting a bad report from Ump Scorecard today.  

Does anyone know if the placement of the pitch location circles is at the front edge or back point of home plate?

Somebody with a great diving curve like Gregg Olson, even that ~1-2 foot depth of the plate the height could change some.     A well located pitch is usually near that strike-ball border.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The top of the MASN box is too low.  The strike zone is defined as the midpoint between the top of the uniform pants and the top of the shoulder.  But the box MASN puts up is barely above the top of the uniform pants, if at all.

On the other hand, the problem with the ump yesterday was inside/outside, not up/down, for the most part.  I’m expecting a bad report from Ump Scorecard today.  

It curious how the ump sits directly behind the inside corner instead of the middle of the plate.  He’s got a bad view of the outside corner.  He setup there whether the catcher was directly in front of him or not.  Do they all do that?

Just now, RZNJ said:

It curious how the ump sits directly behind the inside corner instead of the middle of the plate.  He’s got a bad view of the outside corner.  He setup there whether the catcher was directly in front of him or not.  Do they all do that?

I believe it’s because it’s easier to see the plate from over the catcher’s shoulder than from over the top of his head.  But obviously. It does distort the perspective. 

Just now, Frobby said:

I believe it’s because it’s easier to see the plate from over the catcher’s shoulder than from over the top of his head.  But obviously. It does distort the perspective. 

I Guess, but there were plenty of times when the catcher moved to the inside and the ump was looking over his head and didn’t reposition himself.

I have to give props to my namesake; I liked him a lot better than I thought I had remembered him.  Seemed very comfortable, good analysis, and some humorous quips.  I liked the comment about Frazier picking up a piano as he rounded second on his way to third for his triple...

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

A few years ago MLB told the umpires to set up this way. It is supposed to keep the umpires from getting hit with foul tips and avoid getting concussions.

Apparently MLB doesn't care about all the lousy calls on the outside of the plate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mostly left-right misses, but he missed a couple up and down too. 72% called strike accuracy is brutal.

8 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Along with Palmer and McDonald he's very good overall, and not afraid to call them like he sees them. 

I agree. I got the chance to catch the last several innings of the game and I think Gregg did a good job and he's got the voice for the gig. I think he's the right man for the job if the Orioles need a 3rd Color Commentator.