Tuesday, May 30th: Orioles continue vs the Guardians, without Cedric Mullins

SteveA

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

I get it, I think people just forget that velocity =/= the ability to actually pitch. Guys swing through 93 like it's 99 if the pitch is good. Your brain isn't wrong, 94-95 is a very good arm ;)

Well just a quick look Bradish averages 94.2 and has a 63rd percentile FB velocity, pretty sure when I was growing up 20 years ago that would've been 85-95th. 

But yeah obviously velocity =/= being a good pitcher, though of course it helps. But what represents good velocity has of course changed over the years. 

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Fourth solid outing in a row by our starting pitcher.   Too bad Anthony misplayed/misjudged that ball, would have been a really nice 6 inning/2 run outing for Gibby.

Nope, 5.2 innings against the Indians after being given a big lead. I don't count this as a solid outing at all. It's a poor outing because he's an innings eater and supposed to be the guy who gives the bullpen a rest.

The Orioles gave him 8 runs and he totally crapped his pants. He's supposed t go more than 5.2 innings.

Now more bullpen work because he can't do his damn job.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Really disappointing outing by the "innings eater". And screw those people behind the dugout that give a standing ovation for that start. I absolutely hate people who give standing ovations to just any performance. 

5.1 innings against the Indians? That's a garbage start.

You don’t like Gibson?

4 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

LOL.  Someone must of peed in your cornflakes this morning.  

No, I was having a decent night and then Gibson couldn't get out of the 6th inning with a 8-1 lead. That's garbage. Do your job. He literally was signed to be that guy. He was literally signed to be the guy that gives you 6 or 7 innings and definitely when they give him a big lead, he needs to go out and save the bullpen. 

Now here we are needing to chew up 3.1 innings with the bullpen because he can't do the job he was brought here to do.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

You don’t like Gibson?

Gibson is typically just fine, but this was a crap performance. Yet you have people behind the dugout giving him a standing ovation and people on here saying it was a good performance. It wasn't.

I just want to see a complete game by the Orioles. Score a lot of runs, starter gives seven innings, and they can rest the bullpen for the most part. 

It was looking that way, but nope, Gibson had to crap his pants when he was unable to do what he was signed to do. 

He needs to get the team at least into the 7th if not through the 7th in that situation. He started nibbling around doing some BS out there. Go out, change speeds, throw strikes and eat innings. 

Pitchers back in the day knew how to do that. They knew how to just throw strikes and get guys out with big leads. now you got Gibson up there throwing the kitchen sink all over the place going deep into a counts and being out of steam at 95 pitches.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, I was having a decent night and then Gibson couldn't get out of the 6th inning with a 8-1 lead. That's garbage. Do your job. He literally was signed to be that guy. He was literally signed to be the guy that gives you 6 or 7 innings and definitely when they give him a big lead, he needs to go out and save the bullpen. 

Now here we are needing to chew up 3.1 innings with the bullpen because he can't do the job he was brought here to do.

On this note what is the point of pulling Gibson at 95 pitches? As you said he was signed to be an innings eater and is certainly not in prime. This seems to be a pattern no matter who the pitcher is and whether they are a 23yo prospect or a veteran