Sunday, June 11: Orioles try to get out the brooms vs KC

SteveA

3 minutes ago, slakattack said:

Why, Skip? 90 pitches - he could easily have finished out the 7th.

I think this is an organizational decision.  They want to emulate the Rays, who aren't known for letting their starting pitchers go long.  They're even known for using "openers".

I honestly wonder if such teams do this so they can say "he didn't pitch a lot of innings" at the arbitration/negotiation table.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

8 outs to go to get through this game defensively. Bautista was in the dugout so I don't think he's pitching. And he shouldn't if the score holds. 

It looks like the lefties are rhe best options for the bullpen. Perez had a weeks rest before pitching yesterday.

Coloumbe has had a decent rest if he's feeling healthy. 

I say Akin should come back out in the 8th and see how far we can go with him.  I'd prefer we didn't burn Baker, Cano, or Bautista on this game. 

6 outs by the time I finished writing that.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I think this is an organizational decision.  They want to emulate the Rays, who aren't known for letting their starting pitchers go long.  They're even known for using "openers".

I honestly wonder if such teams do this so they can say "he didn't pitch a lot of innings" at the arbitration/negotiation table.

I don't think it is emulating the Rays so much as it is using the same data to reach the same decision.

1 minute ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Interesting point. Why pay Gerrit Cole 40 million to go 200 innings when you can pay a guy like him 20 million to go 160.

Buck would leave an obviously ineffective pitcher in way too long. A guy who's missing out of the zone with every pitch, a guy who's walking them, and getting hit hard every time he throws a strike, with the O's up by 5 runs, would be left in until the opposition tied the game or the pitcher threw to their pitch count, which was usually around 100+ pitches.

Hyde is the complete and polar opposite. He pulls effective pitchers who aren't even at a high pitch count, just because they gave up a clean ground ball single. He does it whether we're up by 1 run or 7 runs. Guaranteed, no one will pitch a CG SO, no-hitter or perfect game under Hyde. He won't give them a chance.

Call me crazy, but I feel like the "right" way to manage pitchers is somewhere in the middle of the Buck and Hyde extremes. Hyde's way babies the starters, even good ones who are perfectly able to continue, at the expense of destroying our pen's long-term viability. Buck's way vastly hurt our win chance by keeping a gassed or command-challenged pitcher in for 20+ pitches too long, usually until the bases were loaded or worse.

Just now, allquixotic said:

Buck would leave an obviously ineffective pitcher in way too long. A guy who's missing out of the zone with every pitch, a guy who's walking them, and getting hit hard every time he throws a strike, with the O's up by 5 runs, would be left in until the opposition tied the game or the pitcher threw to their pitch count, which was usually around 100+ pitches.

Hyde is the complete and polar opposite. He pulls effective pitchers who aren't even at a high pitch count, just because they gave up a clean ground ball single. He does it whether we're up by 1 run or 7 runs. Guaranteed, no one will pitch a CG SO, no-hitter or perfect game under Hyde. He won't give them a chance.

Call me crazy, but I feel like the "right" way to manage pitchers is somewhere in the middle of the Buck and Hyde extremes. Hyde's way babies the starters, even good ones who are perfectly able to continue, at the expense of destroying our pen's long-term viability. Buck's way vastly hurt our win chance by keeping a gassed or command-challenged pitcher in for 20+ pitches too long, usually until the bases were loaded or worse.

Ahem.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Any injury update on Mountcastle?  Heard it was something involving dizziness?  

Only official word we have from the team is "illness".   And that he was feeling a bit better today and took BP for the first tiem before the game.

The dizziness came from a rando on facebook who said he knew someone who knew someone.... so take that for whatever you think it is worth.   To me, it's not worth much.

4 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Any injury update on Mountcastle?  Heard it was something involving dizziness?  

He took batting practice in the cage befire the game but he was still a no go. I have a couple ideas what it could possibly be that he's dealing with, but there's nothing concrete to base those ideas on so I won't make a speculation post.