Future owners list?

seak05

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Dan Snyder anyone?  I doubt mlb would approve him, but going San Diego style in the free agent market would keep a lot of fans excited.

Snyder would be absolutely awful.  I would much rather stay with the Angelos boys.

3 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Dan Snyder anyone?  I doubt mlb would approve him, but going San Diego style in the free agent market would keep a lot of fans excited.

You think he's the answer?  San Diego Style?  What has that gotten the Padres?  

Future owners list?  It's a very small list and all have the same last name, Angelos.  I don't like that, but I don't see them selling unless either 1) something in the estate proceedings once Peter dies makes it a necessity, 2) they are 'forced/strong armed' by MLB to sell or 3) some legal proceeding outside of the upcoming estate proceedings make them sell (see previous family fight over control, etc).  With the family fortunes slowly being deplenished and the law firm legacy that Peter built also shrinking, I expect them to hold onto the Orioles as long as they financially can do so, as it is a source of steady income for them.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it getting out of the family anytime soon.

• Like 1

It would be profitable for the Angelos family to sell considering Peter Angelos only paid $40 Million as part of a group (which included the noteworthy Tom Clancy) that bought the Orioles for just $173 Million.

They could make bank on that investment if they sold today.

Larry Lucchino has reportedly been previously approached about forming an ownership group that could start a negotiation with Angelos', but Larry rejected the idea saying he didn't think it was appropriate at the time.

Ted Leonisis' name was also speculated as a potential buyer before the news broke of his recent acquisition.

I think people are just speculating wildly with their imaginations when it comes to this topic. But as mentioned, the numbers don't lie... It would be profitable for the Angelos family and partners if they sold.

8 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It would be profitable for the Angelos family to sell considering Peter Angelos only paid $40 Million as part of a group (which included the noteworthy Tom Clancy) that bought the Orioles for just $173 Million.

They could make bank on that investment if they sold today.

Larry Lucchino has reportedly been previously approached about forming an ownership group that could start a negotiation with Angelos', but Larry rejected the idea saying he didn't think it was appropriate at the time.

Ted Leonisis' name was also speculated as a potential buyer before the news broke of his recent acquisition.

I think people are just speculating wildly with their imaginations when it comes to this topic. But as mentioned, the numbers don't lie... It would be profitable for the Angelos family and partners if they sold.

It's profitable to own a team as an ongoing endeavor.  How much profit did this team generate last year?  If they sell do you think they can reinvest into something else as profitable?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's profitable to own a team as an ongoing endeavor.  How much profit did this team generate last year?  If they sell do you think they can reinvest into something else as profitable?

The interest rate on 500 million is 25 million in profit a year if they just park it in a savings account.

If the Angelo’s family actually needs cash, selling is the far better financial solution 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

After the difference between total expenses and revenue, the Orioles reportedly only made about little more than $14 Million in profit for the 2022 season and that was with one of the lowest payrolls in baseball. The regular overhead expenses to own a Sports/MLB franchise and operate a stadium and everything else that goes into day to day operations tend to dwarf other types of businesses.  Paying the bills can add up quickly. How expensive do you think the bills are to power a 45,000 seat stadium, attached with a operating a warehouse as part of the Organization's font office and box office management? How about the expenses associated with supporting their minor league affiliations? Then there's the food (which some is wasted from being thrown out at the end of the night), the stadium workers, the minor league staff, the major league coaching staff, the front office staff, the media staff etc... Quality baseball equipment for more than a 100+ players in an organization also isn't cheap. And then there's also the deferred salary payments and retained debt to former players that most people tend to forget about. They're still paying 5 players (including Bonilla and Davis) in deferred salaries, and then there's more retained salary of players they either bought out or traded.

And I didn't even get into all the flight, travel, and hotel expenses. Do you think it's cheap to fly a player from Norfolk across the country to Texas or San Francisco at the drop of the hat? Does the Hotel let them stay in a room for free? Didn't mention anything about all the commercials and promotions they run either. Do you think famous musicians will play the stadium for free? It costs money to attract those ticket sales too. It's an investment trade off on steroids.

All this to say is that it's a business that is magnified more than your average business. In the world of wealth, most of the reported worth of billionaires and their business is evaluated in assets, not cash. The cash isn't locked in until the sale of that estimated worth is actually made.

The real money is made over time and asset appreciation. With the drama that was reported about the family, there might not be enough time to wait a few more decades. It would be more profitable to just sell and take the profit without all the court expenses and public litigation happening over and over.