Wandisson Charles 2023

Sports Guy

12 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Great report.

He threw another 1.1 innings today with no baserunners.  Assuming he can keep up his effectiveness at close to the current level and given some of the holes in the bullpen, I would not be shocked if he was out there by the end of July.

Charles will turn 27 in September, so there should be no issue with a desire to manipulate service time.  When they do bring him up it will be to catch lightning in a bottle, not with concern over control of his age 34 season 

He looked pretty confident and efficient today.  First  batter he faced was a 10 pitch AB with the lefty fouling off a ton of CU & sliders before swinging strike out on 99.  Got the other 3 batters on 8 pitches including another strikeout.  13 of 18 strikes.  Didn’t get much swing and miss on CU and slider.  Was sitting 97 and hit 99 on the strikeout.  

Edit: seeing savant info he’s throwing a cutter (not a slider).  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

Seems the Orioles have become fairly good about taking older pitchers and striking gold.  I am starting to believe it is not luck but our coaches and evaluators figuring the way to help these guys improve.  If we are actually coaching these guys into really dominate pitchers is really bodes well for our team while we enter this window of being competitive.  

I got to think this is mainly Elias knowing how to pick very smart, very driven employees and getting the best out of them.  I think he is creating a system that is starting to hum like a machine.  Very impressive.  

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Not a bad AAA debut at all.

image.thumb.png.550bfd4b54f0b270fe5099a1659ca07a.png

Then he goes out today and does this:

image.thumb.png.6a07471f12fbcec2d74cb29314ac56be.png

He's quite the story this season under the radar to most.

Only thing that makes me a little nervous is lack of whiff on the off-speed. It looks effective-ish but not spectacular.  He’s getting the whiff on the 4 seam.  I wonder if that will play a level up or if more advanced batters will have more success.  Will be interesting to see.  He has  a live arm for sure and looks like he is locating the 4 seam where he wants.  

3 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Seems the Orioles have become fairly good about taking older pitchers and striking gold.  I am starting to believe it is not luck but our coaches and evaluators figuring the way to help these guys improve.  If we are actually coaching these guys into really dominate pitchers is really bodes well for our team while we enter this window of being competitive.  

I got to think this is mainly Elias knowing how to pick very smart, very driven employees and getting the best out of them.  I think he is creating a system that is starting to hum like a machine.  Very impressive.  

I think they have a “type” they are looking for that they are confident they can tweak and get tangible results.  The guys they have targeted all seem to have some level of success.  One of the first Ps they targeted was Bradish. 

Some velo readings from todays 9th inning that he saved.

Now has 2 Saves in 3.1 innings with 3 K's and no Walks.

Top Pitch VelocityMPH

Wandisson Charles99.1

Wandisson Charles98.7

Wandisson Charles98.6

Wandisson Charles98.3

Wandisson Charles98.3

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Some velo readings from todays 9th inning that he saved.

Now has 2 Saves in 3.1 innings with 3 K's and no Walks.

Top Pitch VelocityMPH

Wandisson Charles99.1

Wandisson Charles98.7

Wandisson Charles98.6

Wandisson Charles98.3

Wandisson Charles98.3

Not too worried about his velocity. Can he throw strikes is what matters.  

• Sports Guy changed the title to Wandisson Charles 2023