Will Tyler Wells be shutdown?

DEOriolesfan

Assuming his performance remains this good, I would take a don't fix what ain't broke approach. Keep him on a pitch count but don't shut him down or stick him in the bullpen. Maybe go to a six man rotation down the stretch depending on where we are in the standings. If we make it to the playoffs, he could be more of an opener with Cano and Bautista going multiple innings. 

2 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I think pitch limits are legitimate and necessary to protect arms.

I do believe that innings limits are all of the things that you say above.

This is what my non-expert self thinks too.  Especially for a fully developed man.  Muscles get tired and usually just need time to recoup.  I'm fine with a pitch count per game and maybe an extra day of rest between starts here/there.  But for the most part IMO, those are the only two factors limiting Wells' innings.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was surprised to learn that in middle school where we are the pitch count is 150 and I have seen kids hit it 

That's way too high for a growing arm.  It's not the muscles themselves per se, it's the growth plate and soft tissue connectors.

MLB | Pitch Smart | Pitching Guidelines | Ages 13-14 | MLB.com

1 minute ago, oriolediehard said:

Why is Tyler Wells being shutdown?  That's all we need is to lose our best pitcher.  If management is going to just shutdown Wells for no reason, then we can forget about making the playoffs!!!!!!!

He's not. The title is deceptive, but it has a question mark. 

• Snutchy changed the title to Will Tyler Wells be shutdown?