Snell/Hader package

Sports Guy

The Padres, along with the Mets, are having as disappointing a season as maybe any team ever relative to payroll/expectations.

They are, as of now, a long shot at the playoffs and with their recent TV issues, maybe they would want to shed some salary this year.

My guess is that they would wait until close to the deadline to make sure they don’t turn things around but if they are out of it, they could sell off some pieces.

Both Snell and Hader are FAs after this year, so it would make sense to look to move them. They make about 30M combined this year, so they could trade them and save 10-15M.

Is this a package deal you would be looking to go after and if so, what type of deal would you be willing to give up for them?

• Upvote 1

Hader would definitely interest me and be of use to give our bullpen some more length/depth. But Snell does not do anything for me. IMO we need a game #1/7 kind of guy, not another of the same kind and quality that we have now. Snell is another mid rotation, "5 and dive guy". We already have 3 of those. (Maybe Kremer is more of a back end guy?) But IMO Snell is not the kind of front end guy that we need. 

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Hader would definitely interest me and be of use to give our bullpen some more length/depth. But Snell does not do anything for me. IMO we need a game #1/7 kind of guy, not another of the same kind and quality that we have now. Snell is another mid rotation, "5 and dive guy". We already have 3 of those. (Maybe Kremer is more of a back end guy?) But IMO Snell is not the kind of front end guy that we need. 

While I agree that Snell isn’t a guy who goes deep in games, he would definitely be our best starter going into Oct unless GRod really starts to turn it up.

It’s not really fair to comp him to what we have.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Who is an example of a #1 that is going to be available?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HandsomeQuack said:

Who is an example of a #1 that is going to be available?

I wish that I had a crystal ball to be able to tell.  Maybe we can get one out of MIA because they have starting pitching in droves but not enough hitting? Maybe that can be what some believe will be some rare contender to contender trades? Maybe Bieber is available? I know the velo has been down, but I would take him over anything that we have currently as he has been there and done that. Maybe Eduardo Rodriguez? I know he has the opt-out but he was pitching like a Cy Young candidate before the injury.

Definitely would be interested in this but not sure the package that they would have to give up.  I would think the Padres would be more interested in prospects in which case I struggle to think who the headliner is that I would be comfortable parting with that they would be interested in.  They are pretty set in the infield.  In the OF, they seem to have a hole in center, but I wouldn't want Cowser to be a part of any package.  Seems like a package beginning with Ortiz or Norby wouldn't be that enticing for them.  

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Definitely would be interested in this but not sure the package that they would have to give up.  I would think the Padres would be more interested in prospects in which case I struggle to think who the headliner is that I would be comfortable parting with that they would be interested in.  They are pretty set in the infield.  In the OF, they seem to have a hole in center, but I wouldn't want Cowser to be a part of any package.  Seems like a package beginning with Ortiz or Norby wouldn't be that enticing for them.  

If we considered giving up Cowser or Kjerstad (which I am very confident that we are not) for expiring contracts in Snell and Hader, that would be absolutely wretched and organizational malpractice. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I wish that I had a crystal ball to be able to tell.  Maybe we can get one out of MIA because they have starting pitching in droves but not enough hitting? Maybe that can be what some believe will be some rare contender to contender trades? Maybe Bieber is available? I know the velo has been down, but I would take him over anything that we have currently as he has been there and done that. Maybe Eduardo Rodriguez? I know he has the opt-out but he was pitching like a Cy Young candidate before the injury.

Bieber's K rate has gone from 33% to 25% to 18% over three seasons. That is really, really bad for a guy in his 20s. E-Rod has had a very good season but was very average the last two years. All the Miami guys are under team control for a number of seasons, so I doubt they are going to part with any of them.

All that is to say that outside of Ohtani, the market is going to be made of Snells, Giolitos, etc., as well as the guys listed above, and the team will have to work within that. There aren't going to be any TOR arms available, so they will be well served to kick the tires on the 2s and 3s that do become available.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Bieber? ERod?  But not Snell?  That just doesn’t make sense to me at all.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

They wouldn’t get Cowser or Kjerstad but Stowers or Beavers could be in the deal. Add in players like Norby and Hall. 

Maybe something can happen with those guys. The Os take on all salary too, which is part of this (and perhaps why it doesn’t happen on their end).

The thing is, I could see them getting more for Hader than I would be willing to give up, so a deal for just Snell could be more realistic.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

I'm not sure how to make that deal work. They are so stacked for an awful long time at 3B, SS, LF, RF, they have a good young 2B. I'm just not sure what we offer that would make them give up two pitchers.

It’s a concern for sure.

May need a third team involved.

• Haha 1

I worry a little about how we're going to trade for pitching without giving up pitching prospects, of which we don't really have any.

We have Rodriguez, Hall, and Povich. No one else is really close or enticing enough to include in a package for a SP. And I wouldn't give up any of those 3 guys for a 1-year rental. Well, maybe Hall. 

Edited by interloper