Snell/Hader package

Sports Guy

58 minutes ago, Malike said:

*Yawn*

These are the pitching leaders and the value they bring to their teams success. How far behind the contending teams are we, realistically?

image.png.8902c7577c676f73c7f0eb3c84d1b8dd.png

We have a difference in opinion in regards to the value of starting pitching. I’m okay if we don’t agree about this. I appreciate the stats and graphs though.

I think we need another starter.

I also think we are in a time where the elite starter is overrated(when it comes to the playoffs).

I also think it’s easier to find good pitching if you know how to develop it and if you have a park that is good for pitchers.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Really? What has Povich done since then to become more valuable? I don't think he is going to be enough for a TOR starter, controlled or otherwise.

He’s not. I was just saying that the deal we got for Lopez wasn’t a bunch of highly rated guys.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Got it. And my point is we will have to do at least better than Povich, which kinda puts us in Basallo-Mayo-Ortiz range.

I mean not really. Those guys are top 100 prospects and top 5 or so in our loaded system. 

They are far better prospects right now than Povich was last year.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean not really. Those guys are top 100 prospects and top 5 or so in our loaded system. 

They are far better prospects right now than Povich was last year.

You agreed with me that Povich's value is the same now as it was last year. Tony's power ranking has him Top 10 in our system. The next guys are Willems, Fabian, then the guys I mentioned: Basallo, Kjerstad, Ortiz, Mayo. That doesn't seem like a big gap to me. I think we will have to go into that tier of guys to get a real difference maker. 

MLB has Basallo 10 and Povich 11. 

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

You agreed with me that Povich's value is the same now as it was last year. Tony's power ranking has him Top 10 in our system. The next guys are Willems, Fabian, then the guys I mentioned: Basallo, Kjerstad, Ortiz, Mayo. That doesn't seem like a big gap to me. I think we will have to go into that tier of guys to get a real difference maker. 

MLB has Basallo 10 and Povich 11. 

???

Povich has more value now than he did last year.

MLB is wrong on the Basallo ranking.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why does Povich have more value than last year? What is a realistic prospect lower than Basallo that gets us a TOR?

I must be missing something about your Povich questions because I think it’s quite obvious why he has more value this year vs last year.

As for a TOR guy. The potential TOR guys likely available are rentals, so I don’t think we need to put a top 5 prospect in a deep system on the table.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I must be missing something about your Povich questions because I think it’s quite obvious why he has more value this year vs last year.

As for a TOR guy. The potential TOR guys likely available are rentals, so I don’t think we need to put a top 5 prospect in a deep system on the table.

I haven't seen any rankings anywhere with Basallo in our top five. I can see the case for it but that would be pretty aggressive. 

Tony had Povich at 13 at the end of year last year. At the time he was traded to us, he was in the Twins Top 10 per this thread. He's still a high K guy with a lot of question marks. Nothing really has changed except guys ahead of him have graduated.

I think we will have to go into our top 10 to get someone good. Holliday is the only true untouchable for me although Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo are close.

7 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I haven't seen any rankings anywhere with Basallo in our top five. I can see the case for it but that would be pretty aggressive. 

Tony had Povich at 13 at the end of year last year. At the time he was traded to us, he was in the Twins Top 10 per this thread. He's still a high K guy with a lot of question marks. Nothing really has changed except guys ahead of him have graduated.

I think we will have to go into our top 10 to get someone good. Holliday is the only true untouchable for me although Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo are close.

He wasn’t in the twins top 10.  MLb had him outside the top 20. Maybe some service had him ranked higher but most didn’t.

Basallo is easily in our top 10 and close to the top 5(I think he’s in it personally).

And it depends on how you define good and what that players service time is.