Do you trust Elias at the Deadline?

lifelongbirdfan

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias has repeatedly said that the money is there to spend when he thinks the team is ready to compete.

Is he lying?

He also flew to Texas immediately after last deadline and talked about "liftoff".

Elias is disciplined and measured in everything he does. He has a boss that repeatedly promised to "open the books" and then didn't.

I think Elias believed what he said when he said it. Both about "there is money there when it's time" and about "liftoff". I think he believed what he was being told at the time. 

Based on what we've seen from Elias over the last few years and what we've seen from John Angelos, do you think Elias was lying?

3 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

He also flew to Texas immediately after last deadline and talked about "liftoff".

Elias is disciplined and measured in everything he does. He has a boss that repeatedly promised to "open the books" and then didn't.

I think Elias believed what he said when he said it. Both about "there is money there when it's time" and about "liftoff". I think he believed what he was being told at the time. 

Based on what we've seen from Elias over the last few years and what we've seen from John Angelos, do you think Elias was lying?

Yes I do.

I think he has a pretty good idea, from the start, what his payroll would look like.

I also think he's smart enough not to say he won't be given the chance to spend.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes I do.

I think he has a pretty good idea, from the start, what his payroll would look like.

I also think he's smart enough not to say he won't be given the chance to spend.

You're consistent. I'll credit you for that.

Just now, 7Mo said:

You're consistent. I'll credit you for that.

I ain't been shown to be wrong about this yet.

Hopefully I will be.

I wonder how many of the posters here that are claiming Angelos rug pulled Elias are the same folks that said he'd never take the job without assurances that he'd be able to run things and have the needed resources?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully I will be.

I wonder how many of the posters here that are claiming Angelos rug pulled Elias are the same folks that said he'd never take the job without assurances that he'd be able to run things and have the needed resources?

Do you think he took the job without assurances he'd be able to run things and have the needed resources?

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Do you think he took the job without assurances he'd be able to run things and have the needed resources?

I don't think the assurances were nearly as impressive as some folks here did.

I don't think Elias had a ton of leverage to dictate terms.

Orioles or not it's still a dream job for a lot of extremely impressive people.

If Elias had still been with the Astros when the sign stealing scandal came out, could he have gotten a GM gig? 

Folks go from being the next big thing to out of the loop really fast in baseball.

But to answer your question, I'm sure he did get some assurances. 

I don't think he got rug pulled by ownership.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Folks go from being the next big thing to out of the loop really fast in baseball.

I don't think his value has dropped from the time he took the job. 

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hopefully I will be.

Not me and where do you get the idea he had assurances? You have some evidence to support that? I think he may have, may have been told he holds the reins, but what difference does that make if the guy signing checks isn’t on board. 

I don’t think Elias is the end-all, be-all, but the Angelos family is bad for baseball and John isn’t much better than the old man.

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Not me and where do you get the idea he had assurances? You have some evidence to support that? I think he may have, may have been told he holds the reins, but what difference does that make if the guy signing checks isn’t on board. 

I don’t think Elias is the end-all, be-all, but the Angelos family is bad for baseball and John isn’t much better than the old man.

A number of posters were very sure that Elias had all sorts of guarantees from ownership before he accepted the job.  I'm not about to dig up posts from 2018 to verify my statement.  Some were going so far as to say Elias would quit if he got rug pulled.

I was in the camp GM jobs are really hard to get and Elias will toe the line with what ownership wants.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A number of posters were very sure that Elias had all sorts of guarantees from ownership before he accepted the job.  I'm not about to dig up posts from 2018 to verify my statement.  Some were going so far as to say Elias would quit if he got rug pulled.

I was in the camp GM jobs are really hard to get and Elias will toe the line with what ownership wants.

I didn’t ask for old posts, but it sounds like you’re in line with what I’ve always thought related to any perceived power Elias has.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I didn’t ask for old posts, but it sounds like you’re in line with what I’ve always thought related to any perceived power Elias has.

OK?

Some folks posted as if they thought he had total control and guarantees of future payroll funding.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK?

Some folks posted as if they thought he had total control and guarantees of future payroll funding.

Total control and guarantees of future payroll flies in the face of the history of current ownership. It’s not possible while the Angelos family has control.