Roch: Cowser to join Orioles in NY

Brian88

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it's going to come down to O'Hearn versus Hicks for playing time.  Hicks can spell all 3 OF, DH, and play vs. LHP.  O'Hearn can only start at 1B/DH versus RHP. 

The lineup has the horses now.  Even has really good bench depth and versatitlity.  Mateo will be a weapon late in games.  Now it's just time to produce.  Eventually Mckenna goes down for Mountcastle, and Mountcastle starts versus LHP.

This is the best bench I can ever remember us having.  

McKenna is already off the roster. Someone else will have to get sent down whenever Mountcastle is back up.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it's going to come down to O'Hearn versus Hicks for playing time.  Hicks can spell all 3 OF, DH, and play vs. LHP.  O'Hearn can only start at 1B/DH versus RHP. 

The lineup has the horses now.  Even has really good bench depth and versatitlity.  Mateo will be a weapon late in games.  Now it's just time to produce.  Eventually Mckenna goes down for Mountcastle, and Mountcastle starts versus LHP.

This is the best bench I can ever remember us having.  

Mckenna just went down for Cowser, someone else will need to go down for Mountcastle.  If things stick the decision of Mateo or Frazier appears to be next.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

A year ago tomorrow, tonight's Yankee starter Randy Vasquez pitched against Bowie.   Cowser started and had 2 singles and a home run in 3 plate appearances vs Vasquez.

Then later in August last year, Vasquez pitched against Bowie again and Cowser had a single and a walk before Vasquez got knocked out of the game.

So last year, Cowser was 4 for 4 with 3 singles, a walk, and a HR for a 2.750 OPS vs Vasquez.   Vasquez has pitched inm AAA for the Yankees this year but has not faced Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Mckenna just went down for Cowser, someone else will need to go down for Mountcastle.  If things stick the decision of Mateo or Frazier appears to be next.

Hopefully. I think this team could use a Mountcastle who is back to his normal self, even if that player is flawed. 

O'Hearn or Hicks should be considered here, too, though. If either of them slump heavily in the time it takes Mountcastle to start hitting in AAA, they could be sent out. O'Hearn can be optioned, which isn't great news for him. He has to keep hitting righties. 

07/05/23 Baltimore Orioles designated RHP Chris Vallimont for assignment.
07/05/23 Baltimore Orioles designated C Anthony Bemboom for assignment.
07/05/23 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of OF Colton Cowser from Norfolk Tides.
07/05/23 Baltimore Orioles selected the contract of RHP Eduard Bazardo from Norfolk Tides.
07/05/23 Baltimore Orioles optioned CF Ryan McKenna to Norfolk Tides.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Hopefully. I think this team could use a Mountcastle who is back to his normal self, even if that player is flawed. 

O'Hearn or Hicks should be considered here, too, though. If either of them slump heavily in the time it takes Mountcastle to start hitting in AAA, they could be sent out. O'Hearn can be optioned, which isn't great news for him. He has to keep hitting righties. 

O'Hearn needs to keep hitting, I think Hicks is pretty locked in as the 4th OF now.

Mountcastle has to get going first of course, but he could be O'Hearn not Frazier/Mateo if Santander is adequate at 1B....O'Hearn's high AAA salary is I think meant to allow him to get through.

I mean if someone claims O'Hearn next month when we bring up Kjerstad and it saves a half million, I don't think anyone will be too upset.

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Then later in August last year, Vasquez pitched against Bowie again and Cowser had a single and a walk before Vasquez got knocked out of the game.

So last year, Cowser was 4 for 4 with 3 singles, a walk, and a HR for a 2.750 OPS vs Vasquez.   Vasquez has pitched inm AAA for the Yankees this year but has not faced Norfolk.

Welcome to the ballclub, rook.    You are running the Hitters meeting pregame.

3 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

It’s now two years in a row. From a Fangraphs article a year ago at this time:

Of the top 15 O’s prospects in our preseason rankings, only a single player, Kyle Bradish, has seen his career WAR projection go down in ZiPS. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-orioles-arent-good-but-they-are-interesting/

And Bradish of course rebounded after a rough start to the season, and I think all of the other top 15 prospects finished strong last year. 

I’d love to see the same comparison this year. The only notable top prospects that have seen their stock drop are Grayson, Norby and Hall, and possibly Beavers. Grayson is also showing signs of righting the ship. Stowers and Vavra have also had bad seasons, but injuries are part of that (as with Hall) and there doesn’t look to be a space for them now anyway.

Every other prospect has either improved or remained on course this year, including some huge seasons from Holliday, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo, Basallo and Fabian in particular.

Not sure why people keep saying Bradish rebounded after a rough start to the season. He got knocked out of his first game in 1.2 IP thanks to getting hit by a comebacker, and he has 1 start where he gave up 7 runs and 1 where he gave up 4. He's given up 3 or less in every other start this season. Where was the rough start? The 1 game against Boston who owns him?

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So we should have an opening on the 26 man roster.  We got rid of three and called up two.  

We only got rid of 2.   Bemboom and McKenna. 

Vallimont was sent to Norfolk yesterday, along with Perez going on the IL, when we activated McCann and brought Zimmermann back up.

Today's Vallimont move is not 26 man roster related, he is being DFA'd off the 40 man roster.   Bemboom is being removed from the 26 AND the 40 to make room for the two new 40 man additions.

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Not sure why people keep saying Bradish rebounded after a rough start to the season. He got knocked out of his first game in 1.2 IP thanks to getting hit by a comebacker, and he has 1 start where he gave up 7 runs and 1 where he gave up 4. He's given up 3 or less in every other start this season. Where was the rough start? The 1 game against Boston who owns him?

I believe that Captain Redbeard is talking about Bradish's 2022 season, not this year.  The context is an article from a year ago essentially saying that so far into that season, Bradish is the only guy among our top prospects who had regressed a bit.   And Captain Redbeard pointed out while that was true at the time, Bradish finished strong last year.    So by the end of the year, EVERY prospect had performed up to or exceeded expectations.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

That article is about 2022.