Scott Barlow

Sports Guy

Barlow is a guy that is almost guaranteed to be traded. He is making 5.3M this year and has one more year of arb next year.

At age 30, he is having a “down year” compared to the last few years. The K rate is still very good and his FIP is solid but his ERA is over 4, as his BB rate.  His statcast numbers are excellent.

He should be high on the list. The extra year of service time will help the royals get a little more but the price tag and higher ERA doesn’t help.

A deal of someone like Beavers and Prieto should get the deal done. 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/scott-barlow-605130?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Barlow could be a good get as a 3rd reliever with his ability to miss bats. Really weird how hard his below average fastball is getting hit this year, especially when you look and he's actually keeping it out of the middle of the plate. 

image.thumb.png.32d6046840aa6ebc605f29d92a04f02d.png

It's almost like he needs to throw that sinker more instead of a 4-seamer to match up with his plus slider and curveball. 

I'd be willing to send Stowers for him event though I still think Stowers is going to end up a good major league hitter. I don't see Stowers having a role here with Cowser and Kjerstad ahead of him.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Barlow could be a good get as a 3rd reliever with his ability to miss bats. Really weird how hard his below average fastball is getting hit this year, especially when you look and he's actually keeping it out of the middle of the plate. 

It's almost like he needs to throw that sinker more instead of a 4-seamer to match up with his plus slider and curveball. 

I'd be willing to send Stowers for him event though I still think Stowers is going to end up a good major league hitter. I don't see Stowers having a role here with Cowser and Kjerstad ahead of him.

Yea I  could see Stowers making sense too.  Lots of possibilities. Would they want his salary for this year and especially next year?  That’s the only thing I see as a drawback to the Os.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You suggest Stowers, whereas @Sports Guy says Beavers and Prieto.  I agree that Stowers has fallen behind Cowser and Kjerstad, and maybe even behind Beavers/Prieto.  I'd be all over a deal of Barlow for Stowers straight up if that's what it took.

3 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

You suggest Stowers, whereas @Sports Guy says Beavers and Prieto.  I agree that Stowers has fallen behind Cowser and Kjerstad, and maybe even behind Beavers/Prieto.  I'd be all over a deal of Barlow for Stowers straight up if that's what it took.

You never know what a team wants. KC is bereft of talent. They need as much as they can get. Barlow isn’t likely to fetch top level prospects. He is looking at borderline top 10 or outside the top 10 type guys. The Os outside the top 10 guys are better than most teams top 8 or so guys. 

Stowers would be a nice get for a team that could use an infusion of ML ready talent.  I would be ok with sending them Urias as well but would likely want a power arm from the minors as well as Barlow.