Great resource for determining team's needs at Trade Deadline

bluedog

I was looking for a way to easily determine which contenders might need an upgrade at 2b and therefore would be interested in Frazier or one of our middle infielder prospects and I found this awsome chart:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi

Use the "Highlight a Team" button to show how any team ranks across all positions.

Hover over any cell to see the players who've contributed to WAA for a team at that position.

You can use this to quickly estimate any teams biggest areas of need and potential areas of surplus.

For example -

Cleveland is struggling at RF, CF, 1b, C, SS and DH and is top 4 in RP.

Enjoy!

Edited by bluedog
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Based on this chart - I'm going to make a prediction:

The O's will send Urias and Hayes or Santander to Miami for starting pitching.

Miami has a ton of injuries. A cautionary tale of how pitching is real risky. Even if you develop them to AA, there still is a lot of work to do. 

Cabrera - IL. Shoulder impingement 

Rodgers - 60 day IL  Biceps strain. Probably will need TJS  

Meyer - TJS

Fulton - 2nd UCL surgery

Eder - Just coming back from TJS

Miller - struggling in A ball

Sanchez - hasn’t pitched since 2020

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Miami has a ton of injuries. A cautionary tale of how pitching is real risky. Even if you develop them to AA, there still is a lot of work to do. 

Cabrera - IL. Shoulder impingement 

Rodgers - 60 day IL  Biceps strain. Probably will need TJS  

Meyer - TJS

Fulton - 2nd UCL surgery

Eder - Just coming back from TJS

Miller - struggling in A ball

Sanchez - hasn’t pitched since 2020

It's crazy they can have that many injuries and still have such great pitching.

NY and Min also match up with the Orioles in terms of needing 3b / LF help and having great starting pitching.

I can't see the O's and Yanks swapping key pieces, but it looks to me like a swap with the Twins could make a lot of sense.

17 minutes ago, bluedog said:

Based on this chart - I'm going to make a prediction:

The O's will send Urias and Hayes or Santander to Miami for starting pitching.

As of today, Miami would be a playoff team.

Would you do that deal if it brought back MiLB pitching that doesn't help until next year? Or if you got a legit prospect (Max Meyer or Dax Fulton) (help next year) plus a MLB reliever (help this year)?

My personal opinion is that Hays won't be traded until after next season and Santander goes this off season, not at the deadline but if the return is good enough, maybe Santander goes. 

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

As of today, Miami would be a playoff team.

Would you do that deal if it brought back MiLB pitching that doesn't help until next year? Or if you got a legit prospect (Max Meyer or Dax Fulton) (help next year) plus a MLB reliever (help this year)?

My personal opinion is that Hays won't be traded until after next season and Santander goes this off season, not at the deadline but if the return is good enough, maybe Santander goes. 

Miami is a playoff team, but I think they will look to improve just like the O's are a playoff team and we're looking to improve. 

Whether its Hays or Santander or Kjerstad or Cowser - the O's have some surplus at the corner OF spots and I'd like to see them use it now instead of next year because I think we're a legit contender for a division title / WS today if we plug some of our most obvious holes (pitching).

Is there any recent precedent for a team contending for a division title trading one of their top 2 hitters (OPS, H, SLG) mid-season ?

I think that the O’s ride with Hays and Santander for the remainder of the season.

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It amazes me how some people are willing to gut the heart of our lineup in the middle of a playoff push just because they think any old part time pitcher will improve the team. No, what you're doing is weakening the team that had been winning.

I didn't say trade them for any old part time pitcher. That's idiotic. You just added that in for no reason.

Let me clarify - if you can trade Urias + Hayes or Santander as part of a package for a true TOR starter from Miami, then I think you do that.

3 minutes ago, Royle said:

Is there any recent precedent for a team contending for a division title trading one of their top 2 hitters (OPS, H, SLG) mid-season ?

I think that the O’s ride with Hays and Santander for the remainder of the season.

Good question. I don't know the answer to that. 

We weren't contending for a division title, but when we traded Mancini last year, he was 3rd in OPS & OBP and leading the team in Avg unless I'm mistaken.

18 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It amazes me how some people are willing to gut the heart of our lineup in the middle of a playoff push just because they think any old part time pitcher will improve the team. No, what you're doing is weakening the team that had been winning.

Kjerstad can probably come up and give you similar production as Santander.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Kjerstad can probably come up and give you similar production as Santander.

You don't know that, and if he can, you also don't know how long it will take him before he is hitting the 33 Home Runs and leading the team in RBIs that Santander has been doing. Everybody assumed Cowser could take the place of the current starters and he's batting .154 with a .543 OPS. 

With Santander, Switch Hitting 30+ Home Run guys don't grow on trees, and he's actually done it. He's the player who has led the team in Runs Batted In for the past 2 seasons when the Orioles have actually been good.

Now, I totally understand there will come a day when his contract situation will force him to be traded, but that's for an offseason move, and his contract situation is at least  a year away before that has any concern. Right now, he's the heart of our ability to score runs. If you don't score more runs than the other team, you lose.