Great resource for determining team's needs at Trade Deadline

bluedog

7 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Now, I totally understand there will come a day when his contract situation will force him to be traded, but that's for an offseason move, and his contract situation is at least  a year away before that has any concern. Right now, he's the heart of our ability to score runs. If you don't score more runs than the other team, you lose.

This offseason would be the only time - 2024 is Santander's final Arb year.     Pederson and Conforto are some recent sluggers I hope he'll outdo the next 1.5 seasons.

10 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You don't know that, and if he can, you also don't know how long it will take him before he is hitting the 33 Home Runs and leading the team in RBIs that Santander has been doing. Everybody assumed Cowser could take the place of the current starters and he's batting .154 with a .543 OPS. 

With Santander, Switch Hitting 30+ Home Run guys don't grow on trees, and he's actually done it. He's the player who has led the team in Runs Batted In for the past 2 seasons when the Orioles have actually been good.

Now, I totally understand there will come a day when his contract situation will force him to be traded, but that's for an offseason move, and his contract situation is at least  a year away before that has any concern. Right now, he's the heart of our ability to score runs. If you don't score more runs than the other team, you lose.

Lots of short sighted thinking here.

First of all, you don’t know that Santander will stay healthy in the second half.  That has plagued him in the last.

Secondly, HR and RBIs aren’t the only way to judge offense. In fact that’s a terrible way of doing it. Kjerstad May already be the better overall hitter and while Santander doesn’t have a good OpS from the left side, it’s looks like Heston will hit righties and lefties well.

Kjerstad is also an improvement on the base paths. Don’t know about defense. Both have strong arms.

If Santander brings us back pitching that makes that side of things better, your team improves. I don’t get why people don’t look at the returns too. They matter in the overall grand scheme of things when judging if you make a trade to make the TEAM better.

30 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You don't know that, and if he can, you also don't know how long it will take him before he is hitting the 33 Home Runs and leading the team in RBIs that Santander has been doing. Everybody assumed Cowser could take the place of the current starters and he's batting .154 with a .543 OPS. 

With Santander, Switch Hitting 30+ Home Run guys don't grow on trees, and he's actually done it. He's the player who has led the team in Runs Batted In for the past 2 seasons when the Orioles have actually been good.

I was thinking sending Cowser back to AAA might make sense, but then see how bad he actually is doing.  Maybe just straight DFA him.  Some guys just don't have it.  I wish there was a way to determine which guys would succeed or fail at the major league level.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It amazes me how some people are willing to gut the heart of our lineup in the middle of a playoff push just because they think any old part time pitcher will improve the team. No, what you're doing is weakening the team that had been winning.

Any fan can post any speculative thread they want to, this is what these boards are for. But I agree that this thread is poorly timed and out of touch. The Orioles are 2 games off the division lead, with the team ahead of them in free fall. This is not the time to trade away any starters at the trading deadline. It's perhaps the time to trade minor-league pieces for major-league help.