Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

9 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Could always try to get Alex Cobb back somehow, I guess?

We have a deep surplus of middle infield depth.

They have Tyler Rogers, Taylor Rogers, Scott Alexander,  and Tristian Beck who are solid noncloser relief pitcher options. 

Elias did not rule out trading existing MLers for pitching.

He did say he didn’t feel trading for positional talent would be something they are looking to do.

He also specifically mentioned that having the talent performing well in AAA is an advantage for them.

If Padres sell, Snell and Hader package makes too much sense imo if price is right for the rentals. 7,8,9 of Cano Hader/Bautista would be lethal. We would only need 6 innings from a starter. 

What would it take? Start with Mayo?

Edited by OakOrioles

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

He also specifically mentioned that having the talent performing well in AAA is an advantage for them.

He did, saying “if you’re a team that’s selling and looking for some help coming back that can help you on the sooner side, it’s good from our standpoint having a bunch of nice players performing well in AAA.” I didn’t view it as earth shattering, and he’s obviously correct that if a team is looking for players that can help them soon, the Orioles have a good sized quantity of such players.

5 minutes ago, hutchead said:

I'm not giving up six years of Mayo for two months of Snell and Hader.

This x 1000.

Mayo has put himself into the conversation as one of the best hitting prospects in the game now, he's untouchable in terms of trading for rentals.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, OakOrioles said:

If Padres sell, Snell and Hader package makes too much sense imo if price is right for the rentals. 7,8,9 of Cano Hader/Bautista would be lethal. We would only need 6 innings from a starter. 

What would it take? Start with Mayo?

Why do people want to give up so much for rentals?

6 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

This x 1000.

Mayo has put himself into the conversation as one of the best hitting prospects in the game now, he's untouchable in terms of trading for rentals.

Agreed.  No way I’m giving up 6 very cheap years of Mayo.  The playoffs are a crapshoot anyway.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

Agreed.  No way I’m giving up 6 very cheap years of Mayo.  The playoffs are a crapshoot anyway.

In general, I'm normally against trading off high-success-chance prospects for rentals.  The rentals rarely move the needle enough, and the pain is often real for a very long time. 

I don’t want any starters given the likely price.  Get two good relievers so if in the postseason you can yank the starter early if necessary.  In the playoffs you only have to be 4 starters deep.  The Orioles have 4 at the moment.  They also will have Grayson and Irvin if a starter blows up.  Make it a 6 inning game with more good relievers.  We should be emulating those Royals teams that won.