Which position player will leave the roster after the ASB?

Frobby

To make room for Ryan Mountcastle, the O’s optioned Bruce Zimmermann and went with 14 position players for one day before the ASB.   Obviously, they won’t keep 14 position players for more than a day or two (if that) after the break ends.

I was in favor of leaving Mountcastle in the minors, but the O’s chose otherwise, and I seriously doubt they are sending him back down after bringing him back.  So, what do you think the move is, when they need to get back down to 13 position players?   

I don’t think the O’s will DFA Mateo, Frazier or Hicks at this point, though I could see a move like that around the trade deadline if a trade doesn’t occur.  So, I think either Cowser or Westburg goes down, much as I hate that idea.

If I’m wrong, and the O’s decide to bite the bullet now, I think DFAing Mateo is the most likely move.  

Someone, I think @wildcard was suggesting that they may go with 14 position players, with Irvin in the bullpen, until a 5th starter is needed, then call up Grayson for a position player. I thought that was pretty plausible. 

And the way Cowser and Westburg have been deployed so far, I actually wouldn't be shocked if they stay and Mountcastle goes back down after those four days. 

Ultimately a trade is the main way to clear up that logjam and maybe that trade will happen before that fifth game. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To make room for Ryan Mountcastle, the O’s optioned Bruce Zimmermann and went with 14 position players for one day before the ASB.   Obviously, they won’t keep 14 position players for more than a day or two (if that) after the break ends.

I was in favor of leaving Mountcastle in the minors, but the O’s chose otherwise, and I seriously doubt they are sending him back down after bringing him back.  So, what do you think the move is, when they need to get back down to 13 position players?   

I don’t think the O’s will DFA Mateo, Frazier or Hicks at this point, though I could see a move like that around the trade deadline if a trade doesn’t occur.  So, I think either Cowser or Westburg goes down, much as I hate that idea.

If I’m wrong, and the O’s decide to bite the bullet now, I think DFAing Mateo is the most likely move.  

I think they try to push it as far as they can and You can DFA someone and have 10 days til you can try to trade them.  I expect they try to push with 14 positional players at least until the game Tuesday on the 18th.  You can keep Irvin in the pen to keep the 8 man pen.  Then if you don’t use him you either bring GRod up to make the start and DFA someone which would give you to the 27 th to trade them.  If you really want to stretch it you could let Irvin start the 18th game and let GRod start in Norfolk.  You then send Irvin down to get the 8 man pen again until the next turn on the 23rd when you bring up GRod.  That way you can DFA Mateo, Frazier, or Urias and then don’t have to trade them til the deadline.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I think they try to push it as far as they can and You can DFA someone and have 10 days til you can try to trade them.  I expect they try to push with 14 positional players at least until the game Tuesday on the 18th.  You can keep Irvin in the pen to keep the 8 man pen.  Then if you don’t use him you either bring GRod up to make the start and DFA someone which would give you to the 27 th to trade them.  If you really want to stretch it you could let Irvin start the 18th game and let GRod start in Norfolk.  You then send Irvin down to get the 8 man pen again until the next turn on the 23rd when you bring up GRod.  That way you can DFA Mateo, Frazier, or Urias and then don’t have to trade them til the deadline.  

That's a lot of contortions to keep Mateo and Frazier on the team.  The O's are better with Westburg and Cowser (he's hitting .200, but in like 15 at bats).  I can't see them DFAing Urias, because he's too valuable to give up for a PTBNL type return, which the O's would have to accept if that's the best deal they get.  IMO,  the logjams are platoon 1Bs and 2 utility IF (Mateo and Urias).  One of Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle and O'Hearn has to go.  I can't see it being Mountcastle or they wouldn't have recalled him from the minors.  It should be Mateo, but not sure Elias is ready to give up on him. 

Recalling Mountcastle was so frustrating, forced an issue earlier than it needed to be solved. He’s probably got the most limited skill set of anyone on the team. Can you send him back down at this point and not ruin his confidence or buy in?

1 minute ago, survivedc said:

Recalling Mountcastle was so frustrating, forced an issue earlier than it needed to be solved. He’s probably got the most limited skill set of anyone on the team. Can you send him back down at this point and not ruin his confidence or buy in?

Frazier is slower, has less power and is worse at the defensive positions that he plays.

I don't buy the idea a team can't get by with seven relief pitchers for a couple of weeks, especially if the starting rotation is decent. I'd like to see one of the long guys finish 2-3 innings of games we're behind and save the key pitchers. You'd also have to move around some guys in that 12th spot from Norfolk.