All Star Game Comments

Frobby

4 hours ago, vab said:

Bautista was due for a bad one and he had the foresight to get it out of the way in a game that didn't count for the Orioles except for costing us home field advantage when we get to the WS 😉

I don’t think that’s a thing anymore. 

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't mind the player in-game interviews.  Some are bad, some are great.  Last year, Alek Manoah was fantastic.  But like last night with Eovaldi, it was awkward.

I kind of like them, they can add a fun aspect to a glorified exhibition game. Eovaldi was a little too focused on pitching to pull the interview off successfully, but it definitely worked a lot better with Manoah last year. And I thought Betts and Freeman were good. They just need to pick the right people. I do agree with the point about letting those interviews prevent them from introducing the public to lesser-known players. Even when Hays got his hit, they barely talked about him. 

Just now, deward said:

I kind of like them, they can add a fun aspect to a glorified exhibition game. Eovaldi was a little too focused on pitching to pull the interview off successfully, but it definitely worked a lot better with Manoah last year. And I thought Betts and Freeman were good. They just need to pick the right people. I do agree with the point about letting those interviews prevent them from introducing the public to lesser-known players. Even when Hays got his hit, they barely talked about him. 

Yeah, I agree.  I think Manoah was the outlier for pitchers.  I don't think a pitcher is going to talk all that much and we saw that last night with Eovaldi.   Get one of the guys standing in the outfield, or a first or third baseman.  And ask them what they think of the batter at the plate...for example, they should have gotten someone's opinion on Austin Hays last night.  Tie the interview in with informing the public about the lesser-known players.

I don't understand why Bonds (and others) are vilified but ARod is somehow on every major MLB broadcast like the dude didn't use steroids and lie about it twice. Dude is just a straight A******. I've never been a fan of Ortiz either for obvious reasons. I learned from a guy with direct connections to DR, what "actually" happened with the shooting too. Doesn't really put him in as good of light in that respect either (not that anyone deserves to get sprayed with bullets). 

Edited by G54377
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I agree.  I think Manoah was the outlier for pitchers.  I don't think a pitcher is going to talk all that much and we saw that last night with Eovaldi.   Get one of the guys standing in the outfield, or a first or third baseman.  And ask them what they think of the batter at the plate...for example, they should have gotten someone's opinion on Austin Hays last night.  Tie the interview in with informing the public about the lesser-known players.

I wonder how much the pitch clock played into it. Manoah didn't have to worry about getting pressed for time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I don't understand why Bonds (and others) are vilified but ARod is somehow on every major MLB broadcast like the dude didn't use steroids and lie about it twice. Dude is just a straight A******. I've never been a fan of Ortiz either for obvious reasons. I learned from a guy with direct connections to DR, what "actually" happened with the shooting too. Doesn't really put him in as good of light in that respect either (not that anyone deserves to get sprayed with bullets). 

It amazes me that Arod is deified as if his past didn't happen.

4 hours ago, now said:

Bonus: All of the above in-game stuff, PLUS nonstop bad commercials!

At least I didn’t need to see the DraftKings, FanDuel and Truist ads that I’ve now seen 6,000 times on MASN.   I’d rather see a new terrible ad than one I’ve seen over and over.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't mind the player in-game interviews.  Some are bad, some are great.  Last year, Alek Manoah was fantastic.  But like last night with Eovaldi, it was awkward.

The one thing that was interesting with Eovaldi was at one point he said he was going to try to throw a cutter in on the hands and added “gotta be ready to run over and cover 1B.”   I thought it was interesting that he was thinking about that before ever throwing the pitch, based on what he was throwing.   

I've always enjoyed watching for the Oriole players to be introduced prior to the All-Star Game.  I was ticked off that after Fox had announced, over and over again throughout the day, that the game telecast would start at 8:00, I tuned in precisely at 8:00 to find that the entire National League roster and all the American League reserves, including Bautista, Cano, and Rutschman, had already been introduced, as well as half the American League's starting lineup.  Fortunately, Hays was low enough in the batting order that I was able to see him run onto the field, albeit in a uniform that made him unidentifiable as an Oriole.

Didn't like the in-game interviews, especially not of players in the field, and particularly not of pitchers on the mound.  Aren't pitchers supposed to receive their signals from the catcher via an audio receiver in their caps?  How is a pitcher supposed to concentrate on the signal from the catcher while the TV announcers are asking him questions at the same time?

Apparently, if the game had been tied at the end of the ninth inning, they wouldn't have played extra innings.  They would have gone to some sort of home run derby thingy to decide the winner of the game.  The Fox announcers were practically drooling over the prospect.  Me - I would have turned the TV off.  I've never had any interest in watching the Home Run Derby the day before the All-Star Game, and I wouldn't have had any interest in watching one after the ninth inning.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Vladimir Guerrero Jr. definitely is not the fielder that his namesake was. Sr could gun down a baserunner from right field. 

Vlad Jr. may be the most overrated player in the game right now.  The only reason he made the game is because of Blue Jays fans stuffing the ballot box.  Every time I see his face I miss his dad.

8 hours ago, G54377 said:

I mean I don’t hear many fans being like wow, I love A-Rod. He’s just a well known name that wants the work. Honestly if Barry Bonds had any interest in being a media personality I wager every network would take him in a heartbeat.