Can Someone Explain the Allocation of Pool Money for Picks 11-20

Can someone explain to me how you figure out how much money you can spend on picks 11-20?  What I see on the internet is that your pool money is set based upon picks 1-10.  Any amount that you spend over $125k on any one pick from 11-20 has to come out of leftover money from the pool money from picks 1-10.  Moreover, if a team doesn't sign one of it's players in rounds 1-10, they lose that pool moneya and it cannot be used on rounds 11-20.  If this is correct, I don't understand how the Orioles signed Showalter and Young last year because it doesn't seem they would have saved enough money on picks 1-10.

Here is a list of all of the Orioles picks from last year, how much each signed for, and the slot number for each signing.

MLB Draft Tracker | MLB.com

I did the math for you, but you can do it yourself.

Bases on the signings, the Orioles saved $757,400 by getting various players in rounds 1-10 signed for underslot.  They didn't sign McLean whose slot was $794k, but my understanding is they don't get to add that to the money available for players in Rounds 1-10.  Accordingly, they had $757.4k of extra money available for signings in Rounds 11-20.  However, as you will see below, they spent an extra $1.52m.

The Orioles signed Showalter for $440k and Young for $1.33m.  The first $125k of each of those don't count against pool money.  Accordingly, they spent $1.52m ($440k+$1.33m-$125k-125k) more than allotted for those two players.  Everything that I have seen says that they shouldn't have been able to get these deals done because under the formulas they only had $757.4k in savings in Rounds 1-10.  They shouldn't have had enough to sign both Young and Showalter.

What am I missing here?  Is the internet wrong about how to determine available pool money for a draft?

Edited by baltfan
Numbers were off.

I'm the wrong guy to explain things, but my understanding is that you don't lose the slot money when you don't sign a guy in round 1-10. I assume that's the case.

Also, I think your math is probably wrong on how much they saved in 1-10 last year. I thought they saved roughly that amount on Holliday alone.

They can also go over their total slot by 5%, though the O's don't seem to be the team to do that.

Someone, I think it was Tony, essentially said that the late flyers on Witt, etc., were likely insurance against a guy like Baumeister (a sophomore) not signing. Makes sense to me. Gives the O's some leverage in negotiations. So the odds of getting both are really small, but the O's essentially may have drafted a fall back plan.

10 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Bases on the signings, the Orioles saved $527,400 by getting various players in rounds 1-10 signed for underslot.

Without delving too deeply into it, I can see right off the bat that Holliday alone signed for some $600K+ under slot, so I'm guessing your math may be off.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I'm the wrong guy to explain things, but my understanding is that you don't lose the slot money when you don't sign a guy in round 1-10. I assume that's the case.

Also, I think your math is probably wrong on how much they saved in 1-10 last year. I thought they saved roughly that amount on Holliday alone.

They can also go over their total slot by 5%, though the O's don't seem to be the team to do that.

Someone, I think it was Tony, essentially said that the late flyers on Witt, etc., were likely insurance against a guy like Baumeister (a sophomore) not signing. Makes sense to me. Gives the O's some leverage in negotiations. So the odds of getting both are really small, but the O's essentially may have drafted a fall back plan.

They saved $8.85m-8.19m on Holliday.  That's $660k.  They also were overslot on some other guys.  

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Without delving too deeply into it, I can see right off the bat that Holliday alone signed for some $600K+ under slot, so I'm guessing your math may be off.

Sorry, you were right.  I had Beavers as -115k when it should be +115k, so that makes the savings $757,400.  I am correcting above.  Still doesn't add up.

Edited by baltfan
wrong numbers

34 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Can someone explain to me how you figure out how much money you can spend on picks 11-20?  What I see on the internet is that your pool money is set based upon picks 1-10.  Any amount that you spend over $125k on any one pick from 11-20 has to come out of leftover money from the pool money from picks 1-10.  Moreover, if a team doesn't sign one of it's players in rounds 1-10, they lose that pool moneya and it cannot be used on rounds 11-20.  If this is correct, I don't understand how the Orioles signed Showalter and Young last year because it doesn't seem they would have saved enough money on picks 1-10.

Here is a list of all of the Orioles picks from last year, how much each signed for, and the slot number for each signing.

MLB Draft Tracker | MLB.com

I did the math for you, but you can do it yourself.

Bases on the signings, the Orioles saved $757,400 by getting various players in rounds 1-10 signed for underslot.  They didn't sign McLean whose slot was $794k, but my understanding is they don't get to add that to the money available for players in Rounds 1-10.  Accordingly, they had $757.4k of extra money available for signings in Rounds 11-20.  However, as you will see below, they spent an extra $1.52m.

The Orioles signed Showalter for $440k and Young for $1.33m.  The first $125k of each of those don't count against pool money.  Accordingly, they spent $1.52m ($440k+$1.33m-$125k-125k) more than allotted for those two players.  Everything that I have seen says that they shouldn't have been able to get these deals done because under the formulas they only had $757.4k in savings in Rounds 1-10.  They shouldn't have had enough to sign both Young and Showalter.

What am I missing here?  Is the internet wrong about how to determine available pool money for a draft?

I have my own tracker from last year. Looks like I didn’t remove the McLean money, but everything else should be accurate. https://docs.google.com/file/d/10Vmxg_nM1EQCgXr2yiB03XuFqmHBjxFv/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msexcel

I can look more later, but I’m guessing the big thing is you can spend 105% of your allotment. Meaning (w/out McLean) the O’s could spend $16.945M. Which is about $806k of additional money to the rounds 1-10 savings. I’m guessing that’s the difference. 

56 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

I have my own tracker from last year. Looks like I didn’t remove the McLean money, but everything else should be accurate. https://docs.google.com/file/d/10Vmxg_nM1EQCgXr2yiB03XuFqmHBjxFv/edit?usp=docslist_api&filetype=msexcel

I can look more later, but I’m guessing the big thing is you can spend 105% of your allotment. Meaning (w/out McLean) the O’s could spend $16.945M. Which is about $806k of additional money to the rounds 1-10 savings. I’m guessing that’s the difference. 

You are likely right.  I had thought I heard the Orioles didn't go over and pay the penalty, but I guess they did go over and pay the penalty.