Middle Reliever trades from 2022

Just Regular

https://www.mlb.com/news/every-2022-mlb-trade-deadline-deal

By my eye, 13 relievers moved last season between the All-Star break and the Trade Deadline.     Stratified by their 2022 K-BB performances through Aug. 2nd, their rankings among 259 guys compiling twenty 2022 innings by then were:

>30:      (3) Josh Hader

25-30:  (16) Raisel Iglesias, (23) Chris Martin

20-25:  (42) Matt Bush, (44) Scott Effross, (60) Anthony Bass, (61) Lou Trivino

15-20:  (71) David Robertson, (79) Jorge Lopez, (83) Mychal Givens

<15:      (139) Zach Pop, (160) Jake Diekman, (188) Michael Fulmer

The K-BB readouts for Orioles Relievers YTD with 20 innings:

Felix 39, Coulombe 25, Cano 20, Akin 17, Baker 17, Voth 11, Baumann 11, Cionel 4

Some of what I feel the Astros at their peak have done is push towards building bullpens in which everyone can throw 20% K-BB.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I want Hader. I have no idea what it will cost, but I want Hader. Give us a 3-headed monster that shortens games

Hader is a pending free agent and unless the Padres are being unreasonable, Hader's trade value should be palatable with the impact he would have on the O's bullpen.

The Orioles could effectively shorten games to six innings when they hold the lead.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Good luck to Elias and Hyde figuring out egos if they do succeed at acquiring another top notch reliever.

Hader is clearly one of the best that might be available, but approaching FA is he going to be cool with 8th innings?

I encourage folks to look up his 2012 tweets where he drops multiple n-bombs, among other things. It's a pass from me. Should everyone be judged by their worst tweets from a decade ago? No, but it also depends, right? He did apologize. But for me, these were particularly disgusting enough where you're better off finding equal or slightly lesser talent for this role. This is a team that thrives on its chemistry. Whoever you add you have to be very confident in their ability to fit in. With the amount that you have to give up organizationally to acquire someone of his talent, you want to really be sure what you're buying. 

Edited by interloper

Hader will cost a ton because, if he is made available, it won't only be to us, and there will be many buyers interested in his services.  So, the fact that we'd be bidding against others will far outweigh his contract status.  I imagine every team in the AL East alone would want in on that action since they are all in the playoff hunt.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I encourage folks to look up his 2012 tweets where he drops multiple n-bombs, among other things. It's a pass from me. Should everyone be judged by their worst tweets from a decade ago? No, but it also depends, right? For me, these were particularly disgusting enough where you're better off finding equal or slightly lesser talent for this role. After all, you're giving up a lot. 

I'm glad there isn't a permanent record of what I said when I was 17 and 18.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Good luck to Elias and Hyde figuring out egos if they do succeed at acquiring another top notch reliever.

Hader is clearly one of the best that might be available, but approaching FA is he going to be cool with 8th innings?

Do you think it would really have any affect on his next contract?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm glad there isn't a permanent record of what I said when I was 17 and 18.

Sure, I just thought it was worth mentioning. I certainly didn't spew public hate like this when I was a teenager. But of course I did and said my share of dumb stuff. 

I updated my post to include that he did apologize, and you can find articles about that, too. 

I'm trying to be as fair about this as possible. 

Edited by interloper

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I encourage folks to look up his 2012 tweets where he drops multiple n-bombs, among other things. It's a pass from me. Should everyone be judged by their worst tweets from a decade ago? No, but it also depends, right? For me, these were particularly disgusting enough where you're better off finding equal or slightly lesser talent for this role. After all, you're giving up a lot. 

We've all said things we probably never should have said, and would be embarrassed by it and judged.  His happened to be in tweets.  I don't condone what he did, but we all do and say stupid things that we hope won't define us.  If I recall correctly, he's apologized for those things he tweeted as a teenager.

9 minutes ago, interloper said:

I encourage folks to look up his 2012 tweets where he drops multiple n-bombs, among other things. It's a pass from me. Should everyone be judged by their worst tweets from a decade ago? No, but these were particularly disgusting enough where, for me, you're better off finding equal or slightly lesser talent for this role. After all, you're giving up a lot. 

The tweets were indeed awful and inappropriate. That said, most people work and interact with people who have plenty of skeletons in their closets and think they are the salt of the earth because they just don't know what the skeletons are. I can tell you from experience that people are always shocked when <so and so> neighbor does something awful, he was the kindest, most honest person they had ever known.

I'd also say that 100% of the people posting and reading this board have said or done something that people would find equally inappropriate at one time in their lives and it's not held against them because people just don't know about it. 

Edited by Malike