Adley's bad luck with balls and strikes

jdwilde1

Adley has had 50 pitches out of the strike zone called strikes on him as of the all-star break.  That’s more than anyone in baseball.  Part of the reason has to be that he takes a lot of close pitches, but there is also quite a bit of bad luck.  It makes me wonder how much better could Adley’s numbers be if MLB went to robo-umps since the ball/strike count has such a pronounced affect on a hitter’s success.

https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/baltimore-orioles-catcher-adley-rutschman-falling-victim-to-mlb-worst-bad-luck

I bet Nick Markakis would have been high up on the incorrect called strikes rankings during his Orioles career. For a similar reason as Adley-- a guy taking long at bats, not chasing close pitches, and batting near the top of a pretty good lineup (which inflates the counting stat part). 

Also, I've always felt like the outside corner to lefties is the most consistently missed strike/ball call in general. Has anyone seen any stats about that? 

26 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I bet Nick Markakis would have been high up on the incorrect called strikes rankings during his Orioles career. For a similar reason as Adley-- a guy taking long at bats, not chasing close pitches, and batting near the top of a pretty good lineup (which inflates the counting stat part). 

Also, I've always felt like the outside corner to lefties is the most consistently missed strike/ball call in general. Has anyone seen any stats about that? 

I have no data to back this up, but I feel umps call that outside ball off the plate a strike more than any other area outside the zone. Felt this way as long as I’ve watched baseball.

Conversely, I’ve always felt the high strike isn’t called as much as it should be. 

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I have no data to back this up, but I feel umps call that outside ball off the plate a strike more than any other area outside the zone. Felt this way as long as I’ve watched baseball. 

That's my impression as well.  I think where the umps setup most of the time gives them a better view inside than out.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Funny how taking close pitches only works for the Yankees. 

7 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Funny how taking close pitches only works for the Yankees. 

As many of you know I have advocated for electronic calling of balls and strikes for years.  Everyone is biased, so to try to remove umps bias as well as incompetency ,  I know of no other method to use.  

Looks like Fangraphs framing numbers have Adley close to 0 on balance.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=c&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=200&type=1&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=20,d

Holistically, the narrative I thought had been we don't want robo umps yet while we have Adley because its a skill he could surpass other MLB catchers at.      Maybe the offense help implied by the OP is worth neutralizing the framing skill.

One note, he probably has the "absolute" highest number because he takes more pitches than anyone else. We also need to know what % of borderline pitches go against him and how that compares. I wouldn't be surprised if he is also in the leaders of borderline strikes called balls.