Grayson Rodriguez officially gets the call, Bazardo Optioned

Billy F-Face3

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

That may be true. But he throws so many. For a guy with the tremendous stuff/talent that he has, it baffles me. He has 97/98 but appears gun shy to use it in big situations. It’s almost like he tries to be too cute/finesse or show that he’s not just a “power pitcher”?

I wish/hope that instead of trying to focus on throwing so many types of pitches in his arsenal and focus so heavy on varied pitch shape, that he learns/is willing to choose 3/4 and focus more on commanding them.

IMO he would be so much better off if he would pitch off of his fastball. And focus on commanding that pitch. 

Let the Kyle Gibson’s of the world focus on having 6/7 pitches as he tries to scrape by with his mediocre ability/talent. Grayson doesn’t need to try to trick opposing batters so much, his talent is incredible.

I don’t really agree with you.  Grayson has great velocity on his fastball, but it’s pretty straight and really isn’t a swing and miss pitch.  He needs to throw the FB on two strike counts enough that batters have to gear up for it, but a lot of his strikeouts are going to come on offspeed pitches. 

The Grayson I saw was gassed in the 6th inning--throwing 95-96 instead of 98-100. He also left a lot of pitches in the middle of the zone throughout his start.

That said, I don't blame him for Hyde leaving him in too long, and overall it was a great start with lots of encouraging signs.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t really agree with you.  Grayson has great velocity on his fastball, but it’s pretty straight and really isn’t a swing and miss pitch.  He needs to throw the FB on two strike counts enough that batters have to gear up for it, but a lot of his strikeouts are going to come on offspeed pitches. 

You don’t think that he could pitch off of it if he learned how to command it better? I see a guy in Grayson who would be well served to use that fastball and pitch at the top of the zone. Even if guys are making contact with 97-99 at the top of the zone that’s weak contact in terms of weak fly ball contact. Verlander are off of that for many years. Not that Grayson is going to be Justin Verlander a probable future hall of famer. But I see merit in him being more confident in throwing his fastball and being able to consistently command it when he does (especially at the top of the zone). 

42 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You don’t think that he could pitch off of it if he learned how to command it better? I see a guy in Grayson who would be well served to use that fastball and pitch at the top of the zone. Even if guys are making contact with 97-99 at the top of the zone that’s weak contact in terms of weak fly ball contact. Verlander are off of that for many years. Not that Grayson is going to be Justin Verlander a probable future hall of famer. But I see merit in him being more confident in throwing his fastball and being able to consistently command it when he does (especially at the top of the zone). 

Well, it’s not like he didn’t throw it last night.  49% of his pitches were 4-seamers.  People who watched the game on TV thought his FB command was good last night.  I had a side view from behind 1B that doesn’t really allow me to judge inside/outside/middle all that well.  His command up and down looked pretty decent to me.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Well, it’s not like he didn’t throw it last night.  49% of his pitches were 4-seamers.  People who watched the game on TV thought his FB command was good last night.  I had a side view from behind 1B that doesn’t really allow me to judge inside/outside/middle all that well.  His command up and down looked pretty decent to me.  

It seemed to me like he was trying really hard to paint the edges of the plate but often times very slightly missed outside. I think it appeared to be progress over his first stint when he was up in the Majors, because where Adley had the glove set up was very close to where Grayson pitched it. It wasn't as far off the target as we usually saw in his first 10 games. At least, until he got into the 5-6th innings, that is.

55 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because that’s a waste of his ability. I mean, any top pitcher is going to look better in a short stint but there is no reason to even be remotely thinking that way now, much less actually do it.

Long term, I’d certainly agree, mea culpa on not being clear. This would be a 2023 stretch run idea only. 

Somewhat like how the Rays used David Price in 2008. 

10 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

We didn't hit well last night.  I don't think their pitching was that great.  

I agree and that’s Something that hasn’t been mentioned much.  I remember 2 ABs from Gunnar, Adley, and Santander each where they swing at ball 4 with less than 2 strikes.  The offense got a little impatient and away from what they do well, which is passing the baton. 

• Upvote 1