Gunnar v. Adley v. MLB - Top 20 Trade Value

Just Regular

Ben Clemens has been doing Fangraphs annual trade value series 10 at a time this week.    Jackson Holliday was outside MLB's Top 50 in honorable mentions; Cedric Mullins was in the 40's.      Neither Gunnar nor Adley were in today's 21-30 segment....we'll see if they turn up in 11-20 tomorrow.      

Where would you guess they fall in the final 2 groups?    Barring a big surprise, its mostly clear who the last 20 will be, just a fun barstool debate who's trade value would command Ohtani plus by themselves:

OF - Acuna, Julio, L. Robert, Carroll, M. Harris, Tatis

IF - Wander, J. Ramirez, Gunnar, Bichette, Riley, Elly

DH/C - Yordan, Adley, S. Murphy?

P - Alcantara, McClanahan, L. Webb, Eury P., Strider

Those 20 I pulled from a couple commenters, but Sean Murphy felt kind of flimsy.     Felix Bautista couldn't rank this high, could he?

This exercise will probably be even more fun in a year when we see how Cowser, Kjerstad, Mayo and Holliday splash the pool, and if Grayson can straighten himself out.    Its quite a nice compliment from Ben Clemens to Mullins to have him inside his 50, but MLB Production is an acid test many fail.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

IF Gunnar and Adley aren't in the core of this team's future, who is.  

Who would you consider the leader of this team?  I think Gunnar is slowly taking over as the face of the franchise, but who is the leader?

Mullins?

Santander?

Hays?

Rutschman?

Henderson?

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Who would you consider the leader of this team?  I think Gunnar is slowly taking over as the face of the franchise, but who is the leader?

Mullins?

Santander?

Hays?

Rutschman?

Henderson?

Adley is the leader on the field. It seems that the older veteran guys like Gibson and Frazier have a lot of influence on the younger guys in the clubhouse, much like Chirinos and Odor last year. This is why I think any expectation of moving those guys is unrealistic. Management values these veterans for this purpose, if nothing else. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I expect Adley to be ahead of Gunnar.  Catchers who hit are such rare commodities.  Adley will be close to top 10 if not in it, Gunnar in the 16-20 range.  

FanGraphs just posted #11-20 and no Os, so both must be in the top10 then. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Watching Adley and Gunnar and now Cowser come up and "hit polite", it does get me thinking about the alchemy of the mid-60's teams, and the stories about Frank as catalyst for the next gear.    Its hard so far to picture Adley ripping out say Gerrit Cole's heart, and stomping on it.    Of course with control of the strike zone, that act might look calmer on the surface than the phrase suggests.

You know who's a NL Hall of Famer that's a not necessarily "old 31", and whose Club might soon need to reconfigure its salary structure....

Every trade transaction is a moment a contract structure's payouts can be renegotiated by the various Clubs.

I dunno, Gunnar has some fire to him out there. I've seen him be pretty ornery at the plate the more comfortable he gets. He gets very fired up on his baserunning plays, too. 

I liked adding Westburg because he's kind of no-nonsense guy in a clubhouse kind of chock full of silly water-based friends. 

Hays is an underrated leader I think. I bet Urias is highly respected, too. 

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Juan Soto isn't on that list anywhere? I bet Adley due to positional value.

Just one more full year to FA.    I think it was the 2021 ATL-LAD NLCS Boras got him some front row seats at Dodger Stadium so Andrew Friedman could know he was there.

A lot of fog in front of AJ Preller this month.

11-20 are McLanahan, Murphy, Riley, Robert, Harris, Webb, Alcantara, Perez, Ramirez, Bichette.

That would leave Yordan, Murphy, Strider, Wander, Acuna, Julio, Carroll, Tatis, Adley, and Gunnar for 1-10. I think you nailed it although I can't imagine Tatis that high with his contract. 

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

11-20 are McLanahan, Murphy, Riley, Robert, Harris, Webb, Alcantara, Perez, Ramirez, Bichette.

That would leave Yordan, Murphy, Strider, Wander, Acuna, Julio, Carroll, Tatis, Adley, and Gunnar for 1-10. I think you nailed it although I can't imagine Tatis that high with his contract. 

No Elly?

I'm guessing Gunnar at like 7-10 and Adley around 2-4.  I'd be shocked if anyone other than Acuna is #1.   You have murphy in your top-10 but he went 12.  Unless there's another murphy.

Edited by Hallas