Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a 2 year deal

jamesenoch

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AM doesn't just like the former Cubs, but a lot of the guys they played against frequently in the NL central....

Trachsel

Pie

Hill

Moore

Sarfate

Patton

Constanzo

Scott

Freel

Wigginton

Albers

Montanez

Jolbert Cabrera

Zaun

and possibly Looper

Well he knows these players the best because that's who the Cubs played.

My First Response:

I had no idea that the guy from Extreme Makeover Home Edition played baseball.

My Second Response:

Hmm. Looks potentially promising. I'm willing to give him a shot, or, rather, see some sort of package put together and see what we got. My interest is peaked.

My Third Response:

I've got to stop watching Feel-Good Reality shows. :o

At first' date=' I'm not sure if I like this signing. Not because of Ty Wigginton, he's a solid player but not sure how much better he would be than Luke Scott. Everyone has brought a lot of good points, Pie not getting as much playing time as expected, Scott may be traded etc.

Let's say the O's use a platoon of LF of Scott and Pie, with Scott and Wigginton sharing DH duties as well, I could see this working but it still doesn’t make too much sense, Wigginton would see time at 1st and 3rd, someone else has to be moved or this could be very [b']dangerous[/b] to the clubhouse. If I was asked who would you trade if you had Scott, Huff, Wigginton, I have to choose Wigginton - Huff had a great year last year, are we forgetting that? what's not to say he can't do it again and sign him to a contract extension, Scott has been training very hard this offseason (aware this doesn't necessarily translate to results) but I expect a very good season by Luke, you know what you're going to get from Wigginton, solid but not spectacular, don't the O's have that with Luke Scott?

Going into next year with Mora, Huff, Pie, Scott, Wigginton and 4 positions available including DH, I could see all these players except for Pie getting very grumpy and upset having to platoon along with a very negative mindset being brought to the ballpark meaning players will be underperforming. One player too much could end up destroying the chemistry of the rest of the team. Yes, it’s not the players’ choice of when they play but you have to put a good team on the field instead of a team where everyday players don’t know where they’re going to be playing. It sounds as if there will be another trade, and I don’t want to see Huff or Scott traded, but for the benefit of the team, I guess it has to be done. Unfortunately, if Wigginton was never signed in the first place, the O’s wouldn’t have this problem right now.

If "chemistry" is created by players being happy because they are getting a lot of playing time in situations for which they are not suited, that's not the kind of chemistry we need. We need the kind where we have lots of players to handle different situations, they are well utilized, the team has success and everyone is happy about it.

At first' date=' I'm not sure if I like this signing. Not because of Ty Wigginton, he's a solid player but not sure how much better he would be than Luke Scott. Everyone has brought a lot of good points, Pie not getting as much playing time as expected, Scott may be traded etc.

Let's say the O's use a platoon of LF of Scott and Pie, with Scott and Wigginton sharing DH duties as well, I could see this working but it still doesn’t make too much sense, Wigginton would see time at 1st and 3rd, someone else has to be moved or this could be very [b']dangerous[/b] to the clubhouse. If I was asked who would you trade if you had Scott, Huff, Wigginton, I have to choose Wigginton - Huff had a great year last year, are we forgetting that? what's not to say he can't do it again and sign him to a contract extension, Scott has been training very hard this offseason (aware this doesn't necessarily translate to results) but I expect a very good season by Luke, you know what you're going to get from Wigginton, solid but not spectacular, don't the O's have that with Luke Scott?

Going into next year with Mora, Huff, Pie, Scott, Wigginton and 4 positions available including DH, I could see all these players except for Pie getting very grumpy and upset having to platoon along with a very negative mindset being brought to the ballpark meaning players will be underperforming. One player too much could end up destroying the chemistry of the rest of the team. Yes, it’s not the players’ choice of when they play but you have to put a good team on the field instead of a team where everyday players don’t know where they’re going to be playing. It sounds as if there will be another trade, and I don’t want to see Huff or Scott traded, but for the benefit of the team, I guess it has to be done. Unfortunately, if Wigginton was never signed in the first place, the O’s wouldn’t have this problem right now.

Win more ballgames, build a respectable organization, and chemistry has a way of working itself out.

Plus, what are the chances that Mora, Huff, Scott, Wigginton, and Pie all get through the season healthy?

For 2 years, $6 million, I've got no problem with adding Wigginton. He's a bargain at that price. Three mil a year for a guy who posted an .876 OPS last season? (And yes, I realize he played half his games in the Houston Bandbox, but still-- the guy can hit.)

This doesn't necessarily mean another move is on the way. If Trembley gets creative, he can find a way to get enough playing time for everybody. Start Wigginton against every lefty-- with one of Pie, Scott, or Huff getting the day off-- and have him sub in for Mora occasionally as well.

If "chemistry" is created by players being happy because they are getting a lot of playing time in situations for which they are not suited, that's not the kind of chemistry we need. We need the kind where we have lots of players to handle different situations, they are well utilized, the team has success and everyone is happy about it.

I completely understand what you’re saying Frobby, and yes it would be ideal for all players to do what’s best for the team. Unfortunately, with all the money and egos that fly around pro sports, unless someone else is moved, I can see this doing a lot of harm to the ballclub. If you’re Luke Scott and your working hard all offseason and one moment you think you’re the starting LF, the next moment you’re the starting DH despite wanting to play the field, and now you’re being told you’re sharing playing time with Pie and Wigginton, you’re not going to be pleased.

No way would Mora be happy about sharing PT (he’s always talking about check my numbers against other 3rd basemen etc.), maybe he needs to be moved but who’s going to take on his contract. Ideally it would be great for everyone to understand different matchups and so on, but I guess I’m thinking about this too much as it isn’t spring training yet, and more moves very well could be made.

Win more ballgames, build a respectable organization, and chemistry has a way of working itself out.

Plus, what are the chances that Mora, Huff, Scott, Wigginton, and Pie all get through the season healthy?

I guess I'm looking too much into this. Maybe I'm used to the O's not having enough depth and talent and the moment there seems to be more solid players than positions available, I could only look at the chemistry and negative instead of looking at how the depth for once is a bonus and ultimately should help the team. All of sudden I have a positive attitude to this... for now

For those of you concerned this will impact Pie's playing time, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. There was very little reason to trade for Pie if you weren't going to give him an every day job. It was clear from his time with the Cubs that he didn't do well being jerked around. They played Jones every day last year, they will play Pie every day this year. The Orioles know that his development is one of the keys to the future success of this franchise.

For those of you concerned this will impact Pie's playing time, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. There was very little reason to trade for Pie if you weren't going to give him an every day job. It was clear from his time with the Cubs that he didn't do well being jerked around. They played Jones every day last year, they will play Pie every day this year. The Orioles know that his development is one of the keys to the future success of this franchise.

I agree. I don't really think this move affects Pie at all.

I completely understand what you’re saying Frobby' date=' and yes it would be ideal for all players to do what’s best for the team. Unfortunately, with all the money and egos that fly around pro sports, unless someone else is moved, I can see this doing a lot of harm to the ballclub. If you’re Luke Scott and your working hard all offseason and one moment you think you’re the starting LF, the next moment you’re the starting DH despite wanting to play the field, and now you’re being told you’re sharing playing time with Pie and Wigginton, you’re not going to be pleased.

No way would Mora be happy about sharing PT (he’s always talking about check my numbers against other 3rd basemen etc.), maybe he needs to be moved but who’s going to take on his contract. Ideally it would be great for everyone to understand different matchups and so on, but I guess I’m thinking about this too much as it isn’t spring training yet, and more moves very well could be made.[/quote']

I trust Trembley to keep the egos in check. And I truly think a lot depends on how the team is doing. It is a lot easier to accept a role when the team is playing well.

I guess I've just seen too many situations in the last 10 years where we've had an injury without anybody competent to fill the spot for a period (Fahey in LF), or late-game situations where we never had the right pinch-hitter available, to worry much about somebody getting their feathers ruffled.

Archived