Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

51 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not familiar with Finkelstein or Just Baseball, but the idea of the Mets paying a lot of the salaries for Robertson, Quintana, and /or Canha makes a lot of sense.  Especially Robertson and Quintana.  Kind of picks up where the McCann deal left off.  I had my eye on Quintana last off season.

Edited by Number5

John Means was on my list of late season additions to the roster, before the 2023 season began.  At this point is Means out of the plans, or a discreet possible addition in September. 

Either way, high leverage innings for Means seems out of the equation from a comeback standpoint.

Elias created a lot of 40 man dfa’s the last year that have been positive to the current teams success. I expect negotiations, but only a greater than top 15 prospect+ to be dealt before the deadline. 

The off-season will be very interesting for the first time, IMO

35 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I would rather do nothing or start Cole Irvin than Lance Lynn who may be the worst starter in baseball this year. If the Orioles want to punt on their chances of legitimately making a run, IMO their are better ways to do that than Lance Lynn.

The two consensus best FO in all of baseball, the Dodgers and the Rays, are hot after Lynn. I’m not saying I want him, but to dismiss him as having any value to a contending team seems a bit extreme. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

What a day for Holliday to get pulled from the starting lineup, fire up the speculation. It has since been reported he is sick.  It did make me think though… who would you trade Holliday for?

Off the top of my head: Acuna, Franco, Carroll, Kirby, and Strider. I'd guess there are about 15 guys in baseball I'd trade Holliday for taking into account service time and our cheap ownership. Adley and Gunnar are two of them. It's a good time to be an Orioles fan.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joelala said:

The two consensus best FO in all of baseball, the Dodgers and the Rays, are hot after Lynn. I’m not saying I want him, but to dismiss him as having any value to a contending team seems a bit extreme. 

Lynn is being plagued by LHB this year. The OPS from LHB is ~.300 points higher than his career and the BABIP against LHB is near .400. I'm not saying go after him either, but he's striking a ton of people out and his FIP is about a run and a half better than his ERA.

1 hour ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If we make the playoffs we already have better than 3% chance to win the World Series, and it would take quite a bit for us to miss the playoffs at this point. I'm sure Snell and Hader would increase our chances by more than 0.7% as well, but I get what you're trying to say and I agree.

That’s a fair qualification re. the odds. The 3% is a midpoint between where Fangraphs and 538 currently have us to win the WS, and the .7% was made up, but point taken that both numbers go up if we make the playoffs, and making the playoffs feels certain.

But given that making the playoffs feels certain, I do think the trades people suggest that include rentals should always be contextualized against the backdrop of, “how much does this help us win the World Series this year?” And if the rental is taking us from a single-digit probability to another single-digit probability, is it really worth giving up prospect who could add more cumulative probability than that over the course of several years in the future to what will already be higher starting probabilities than we’re at now?

7 minutes ago, Malike said:

Lynn is being plagued by LHB this year. The OPS from LHB is ~.300 points higher than his career and the BABIP against LHB is near .400. I'm not saying go after him either, but he's striking a ton of people out and his FIP is about a run and a half better than his ERA.

I've studied Lynn (mostly because of fantasy baseball) and I honestly can't figure out what's wrong with him this season. The lazy analysis seems to be that he's overweight so the pitch clock / stamina might be factoring in, but I don't buy it. If the Orioles believe in the underlying metrics (there's definitely some positives) then I'd be absolutely fine with them taking a chance on him. 

Just now, HakunaSakata said:

I've studied Lynn (mostly because of fantasy baseball) and I honestly can't figure out what's wrong with him this season. The lazy analysis seems to be that he's overweight so the pitch clock / stamina might be factoring in, but I don't buy it. If the Orioles believe in the underlying metrics (there's definitely some positives) then I'd be absolutely fine with them taking a chance on him. 

Yeah, I don't understand it either. LHB are just destroying him this year and I'm not sure why. The stuff is good.

58 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Intriguing article.  I think the trade suggestions favor the Mets a bit too much, but if Steve Cohen wants to subsidize a sizable chunk of the O's 2024 payroll I guess I'd at least take his call.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, joelala said:

I hope that the Rays get him and I hope that they decide to start him against us when we play them again. That would be the best of all outcomes to me.

26 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Intriguing article.  I think the trade suggestions favor the Mets a bit too much, but if Steve Cohen wants to subsidize a sizable chunk of the O's 2024 payroll I guess I'd at least take his call.

I don't hate a lot of those trades, but I'm not sure I'd make them.

If the Orioles acquired Lynn, I would assume that it would be like when they acquired Hicks. Bit of a head scratcher on its face, but as Elias said at the time, they have certain things they look at that you can’t see on the back of a baseball card. I’d honestly at this point be expecting a staggering turn around.