Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

32 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think two possible "buy-side" formulations right now might be:

A. Matz and Carlson

B. Teoscar and Sewald, if Dipoto gets to the Trey Mancini-Jorge Lopez gameplan and makes Julio Rodriguez and all his All-Star caliber starting pitchers mad.

I wonder if Mountcastle could swing a Sewald/Teoscar get.     A 2024 Mariners offense might be a Goldilocks spot for Mountcastle to get the 650 PA next year he won't be able to earn here.

You're not getting a very good closer, with an extra year of control for Mountcastle. That's also ignoring that Seattle already has Ty France, who despite having a down year, is still outperforming Mountcastle and was considerably better in 2022 and 2021. 

A Seattle deal could have Current Wins for Current Wins balance if Dipoto's strategy is to continue competing same as Arte Moreno.

If I'm him, my Gilbert or Kirby ask is probably like Jordan Westburg, Austin Hays and Colton Cowser.      Gilbert and Kirby are two of the few players around MLB who individually are still much more valuable than Elias' second tier of guys.

Gunnar or Holliday if you want them more or less straight up.

10 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

You're not getting a very good closer, with an extra year of control for Mountcastle. That's also ignoring that Seattle already has Ty France, who despite having a down year, is still outperforming Mountcastle and was considerably better in 2022 and 2021. 

I was going to say Mike Ford is no Ryan O'Hearn, but spot checking his numbers he also is on a good run.

Its a sad summer for Ryan Mountcastle if he can't garner reps over Ryan O'Hearn and Mike Ford.     I don't think he's down to worthless, and I don't think he's a priority hold for Elias, so it will be interesting to see how the League values him if anything happens.

Dipoto's situation is just interesting being in same division and having same record as LAA.    Ty France like Ryan Mountcastle will need to hit every year if he doesn't want to get non-tendered.

Last night, I read a detailed recollection of the Tigers/Astros Verlander trade where all the people involved in making it happen shared their memories in detail of how it all went down. At first the deal was deadlocked and almost didn't happen. But one of the teams pulled off a seperate trade: Justin Upton being traded was the trigger allowed the Verlander trade to happen.

Today I read trade rumors of the Padres, and the Padres behavior sounds very similar to how the Tigers were behaving before they decided to sell some parts in 2017 and trade Verlander just seconds before the deadline. 

The Padres...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/07/nl-west-notes-kim-padres-jdm-smith-desclafani-giants.html

I think there are some players the Padres could get (indirectly) that would set some things in motion for them to finally decide to come off their pending free agents like Snell or Hader before the deadline.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I hate all of you for making this thread hot and not talking about any legit rumors. 

I hate the absolute inactivity for my Cubs who are, at best, a middling playoff contender, but I can't imagine how irritated I'd be right now if I was you guys. It still might turn out well, but doing a bunch of nothing with 31 hours to go is stressful.

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

I hate the absolute inactivity for my Cubs who are, at best, a middling playoff contender, but I can't imagine how irritated I'd be right now if I was you guys. It still might turn out well, but doing a bunch of nothing with 31 hours to go is stressful.

Your Cubs?

200w.gif

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

It's easier to not be irritated when you just pulled the MFY's pants down on national televsion.