Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

I find it amazing that as old as Palmer is and how he is an former player that he is getting as anxious as us fans about the deadline deals.  I already saw yesterday how he didnt want to give up prospects.   He must be living and dying with the Orioles.   Somehow I always assumed he was above all this.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Maybe, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the demands made to the O's are different than to other teams. The O's have the deep pockets, everyone involved is a repeat actor who is interested in setting precedents, and there are players/agents involved.

Does it seem likely that the deal the Astros got for Verlander would have been available to us? Norby + Beavers for 1.5-2.5 years of Verlander? Would Elias say no to that? Or are the Mets/Verlander not giving the O's that option?

Verlander drove the car on that trade. He had all the leverage with his no trade clause and he had familiar relationships with people in the Astros and the City of Houston. So that’s where he chose to go. The Mets did not have the final say. Verlander chose the deal for them. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

While the focus appears to be on the rotation, I'm still hoping (although I should know better) that we get some bullpen reinforcements.

So important.   I don't want to see Baker in any type of situation with the game on the line.  We can't rely on Hall and/or Means coming back, either.

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Maybe, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that the demands made to the O's are different than to other teams. The O's have the deep pockets, everyone involved is a repeat actor who is interested in setting precedents, and there are players/agents involved.

Does it seem likely that the deal the Astros got for Verlander would have been available to us? Norby + Beavers for 1.5-2.5 years of Verlander? Would Elias say no to that? Or are the Mets/Verlander not giving the O's that option?

Sure, maybe.

But at the end of the day if the O's offered a better deal I'd think the other team would take it, even if it wasn't "more better",

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

A team doesn’t have the best record in the American League on August 1st and have a crappy starting rotation. I agree the Orioles could use another starting pitcher, but I’m not about to trade two top ten or better prospects for a pitcher who might not be a true TOR starter.

Cease might have had his career season last year and will never reach that peak again. Judge him by the body of his entire career. 

The non-lopsided schedule started this year. Did Cease take advantage of a week AL Central last year? Just asking.. 

• Upvote 1