Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

Could Elias be handcuffed by financial constraints in his attempts at upgrading our roster at the deadline, wherein adding any significant payroll is already off the table? 

If he wants to trade for Snell and/or Hader from the Padres, or Luis Castillo from the Mariners, or whomever, Elias may already be competing with one hand tied behind his back. 

Of course assumptions are being made.  I could be wrong, and may soon see first hand that Elias has free range to make the moves he deems necessary. 

That would be a major surprise, and and a welcome one at that. 

What do you think?

Just now, eddie83 said:

I think it’s also possible that Wells is a relief piece later on. You could in theory look at him as a “new player.” 

First, he needs to fix his problems.  Then we can see where he fits best.

25 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

He just sent one his better first half starters to Bowie. I think that is a pretty clear sign he is shopping for a starter and probably a RP. 

I'd guess that his replacement starter came in for relief last night. I hope you're right and there's something in the works, but I'm skeptical and hoping to be wrong.

If the Cubs aren't selling, the market is down to:

1. Snell

2. ERod

3. Flaherty

4. Lorenzen

5. Lugo

6. Hill

7. Clevinger

Take Snell and Lugo out if the Padres decide not to sell. ERod might be too risky for Elias, since he can opt-in for 50M if he gets hurt. Flaherty and Lorenzen are the best bets for a starter, imo. Brent Suter is my guess for a reliever.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

First, he needs to fix his problems.  Then we can see where he fits best.

Of course. You don’t need 5 starters in playoffs anyway. He was really good 1st half. He can say his health isn’t good but something is off. 

2 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I'd guess that his replacement starter came in for relief last night. I hope you're right and there's something in the works, but I'm skeptical and hoping to be wrong.

I really hope that’s not the plan especially seeing what kinda returns other rentals have gone for.