MLB TV question

OriolesMagic83

I live in Richmond and am working out of town in the mountains of North Carolina.   Is western North Carolina part of the O's home market and thus blocked out on MLB TV?  I assume Richmond, VA is considered part of the O's market and O's games are blocked out.  Is that just home games or road games too?  Trying to figure out if MLB TV will allow me to watch O's games.  Not really interested in non O's baseball games.

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I live in Richmond and am working out of town in the mountains of North Carolina.   Is western North Carolina part of the O's home market and thus blocked out on MLB TV?  I assume Richmond, VA is considered part of the O's market and O's games are blocked out.  Is that just home games or road games too?  Trying to figure out if MLB TV will allow me to watch O's games.  Not really interested in non O's baseball games.

I use MLB TV and Express VPN to watch the games. 

18 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/mlb-tv-blackout-workaround-vpn/

North Carolina area I'm in is ok to watch the O's.  Braves and Reds are blocked.  I bet there are dozens of Reds fans in western North Carolina.  Also, residents of Guam can't watch the Giants or A's (Dodgers, Mariners and Padres are viewable)..  Do they determine some of these restrictions by throwing at a dart board?

What a load of crap this is in general... I'm sure it has been expressed several times in the past...  isn't the blackout rule to try and entice the local viewers to the game? I live 6 hours from the Atlanta Braves games.. yet I am blacked out. Just stupid. Good thing

1) I am an O's fan

2) I use a VPN so... 

4 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

What a load of crap this is in general... I'm sure it has been expressed several times in the past...  isn't the blackout rule to try and entice the local viewers to the game? I live 6 hours from the Atlanta Braves games.. yet I am blacked out. Just stupid. Good thing

1) I am an O's fan

2) I use a VPN so... 

If I were to use a VPN, I would watch on my laptop and could cast to a TV?

9 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

1) I am an O's fan

2) I use a VPN so... 

I was also pretty disgusted when I realized I can't watch any O's games here in Florida when they were playing the Rays or the Marlins, even when in Baltimore. Then I read somewhere that the blackout restrictions were not only about getting local viewers to the stadium, but also protecting the broadcasting rights of the local cable companies in your area. 

Edited by FlaO'sFan
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

I was also pretty disgusted when I realized I can't watch any O's games here in Florida when they were playing the Rays or the Marlins, even when in Baltimore. Then I read somewhere that the blackout restrictions were not only about getting local viewers to the stadium, but also protecting the broadcasting rights of the local cable companies in your area. 

Yes it is all about the MASNs and the money.  MLB being in bed with all the cable companies and thus blocking streaming.  

Their so called app that I have poured hundreds of dollars into over the last fivecyears is pretty useless for streaming unless you are away from home or like watching the game 3 hours later. 

This and other money grubbing activities by Angelos and MLB  has led me not to attend a game at Camden Yards in the last 5 years. 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

This and other money grubbing activities by Angelos and MLB  has led me not to attend a game at Camden Yards in the last 5 years. 

I enjoy attending baseball games too much to consider that option. 

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Yes it is all about the MASNs and the money.  MLB being in bed with all the cable companies and thus blocking streaming.  

Their so called app that I have poured hundreds of dollars into over the last fivecyears is pretty useless for streaming unless you are away from home or like watching the game 3 hours later. 

I understand your displeasure w/ Angelos/MLB.  MLB is not behind not allowing in market streaming.  That would be the RSNs.  MLB took over the Diamondbacks and I believe Padres in cable broadcasts and are allowing in market streaming for non cable customers.

I tried the app and it was shit.  I think I watched about 5 minutes of game action and 20 gambling commercials.  I assume that's what MASN/O's want.