AL Playoff Race - 9 weeks left- now 1 week

eddie83

I did something along these lines last year. Of course last year it was about whether the Orioles could get a WC spot. Much more at stake this year.  I marked the 5 week mark on each teams schedules. The end of the 5 week mark is Labor Day weekend. Schedules run Monday-Sunday. I included games left for today but not those games on schedule.  

AL playoff race 

AL East                         GB             GL 

BAL         63-41                                58
TB           63-44                 1.5          55

TOR        59-46                 4.5          57

BOS        56-48                 7.0          58

NYY         55-49                 8.0         56

AL Central 
MINN      54-52                                56
CLE         52-53                 1.5          57

AL West
TEX         60-45                                57
HOU        59-46                 1.0          57

LAA          54-51                 6.0         57
SEA          53-51                 6.5         58

AL WC
TB             63-44

TOR          59-46

HOU         59-46
——————
BOS           56-48              2.5
NYY           55-49              3.5
LAA            54-51              5.0
SEA            53-51              5.5
CLE            52-53              7.0

SCHEDULES

BAL 
@TOR (4)    NYM (3)
HOU (3)    @SEA (3)
@SD (3)    @OAK (3)
TOR (3)    COL (3)
CWS (3)    @ARZ (3)                 5
@LAA (3)    @BOS (3)
STL (3)    TB (4)
@HOU (3)    @CLE (4)
WAS (2)    BOS (4)

TB 
@NYY (3)    @DET (3)
STL (3)    CLE (3)
@SF (3)    @LAA (3)
COL (3)    NYY(3)
@MIA (2)    @ CLE (3)               5
BOS (3)    SEA (4)
@MIN (3)    @BAL (4)
LAA (3)    TOR (3)
BOS (2)    @TOR (3)

TOR
BAL (4)     @BOS (3)
@CLE (4)    CHC(3)
PHI (2)     @CIN (3)
@BAL (3)     CLE (3)
WAS (3)     @COL (3)                5
@OAK (3)     KC (3)
TEX (4)     BOS (3)
@NYY (3)    @TB (3)
NYY (3)    TB (3)

BOS
@SEA (3)    TOR (3)
KC (4)     DET (3)
@WAS (3)     @NYY (3)
@HOU (4)    LAD (3)
HOU (3)    @KC (3)                  5
@TB (3)    BAL (3)
NYY (4)     @TOR (3)
@TEX (3)    CWS (3)
TB (2)    @BAL (4)

NYY
TB (3)    HOU (4)
@CWS (3)    @MIA (3)
@ATL (3)    BOS (3)
WAS (3)    @TB (3)
@DET (4)    @HOU (3)              5
DET (3)    MIL (3)
@BOS (4)    @PIT (3)
TOR (3)    ARZ (3)
@TOR (3)    @KC (3)

—————————————————
MIN
@STL (3)    ARZ (3)
@DET (4)    @PHI (3)
DET (2)    PIT (3)
@MIL (2)    TEX (4)
CLE (3)     @TEX (3)               5
@CLE (3)     NYM (3)
TB (3)    @CWS (4)
@CIN (3)    LAA (3)
OAK (3)    @COL (3)

CLE
@HOU (3)    CWS (3)
@TOR (4)    @TB (3)
CIN (2)    DET (4)
LAD (3)    @TOR (3)
MIN (3)    TB (3)                       5
MIN(3)    @LAA (4)
@SF (3)    TEX (3)
@KC (3)    BAL (4)
CIN (2)    @DET (3) 

——————————————————

TEX
CWS (3)    MIA (3)
@OAK (3)    @SF (3)
LAS (3)    MIL (3)
@ARZ (2)    @MINN (4)
@NYM (3)    MIN (3)                   5
HOU (3)    OAK (3)
@TOR (4)    @CLE (3)
BOS (3)    SEA (3)
@LAA (3)    @ SEA (4) 

HOU
CLE (3)    @NYY (4)
@BAL (3)     @LAA (3)
@MIA (3)    SEA (3)
BOS (4)    @DET (3)
@BOS (3)    NYY (3)                  5
@TEX (3)    SD (3)
OAK (3)    @KC (3)
BAL (3)     KC (3)
@SEA (3)    @ARZ (3)

LAA
@ATL (3)    SEA (4)
SF (3)    @HOU (3)
@TEX (3)    TB (3)
CIN (3)    @NYM (3)
@PHI (3)    @OAK (3)                5
BAL (3)    CLE (4)
@SEA (3)    DET (3)
@TB (3)    @MIN(3)
TEX (3)    OAK (3)

SEA
BOS (3)    @LAA (4)
SD (2)    BAL (3)
@KC (4)    @HOU (3)
@CWS (3)    KC (3)
OAK (3)    @NYM (3)               5
@CIN (3)    @TB (4)
LAA (3)    LAD (3)
@OAK (3)    @TEX (3)
HOU (3)    TEX (4)

Edited by eddie83

Unless i missed something, Orioles have Lost the fewest of Any of the teams. So their destiny is more in their own hands than otherwise because the games to be played to make it up to the other teams total games played,  can be won.  But if games are already played and lost, even if they  win the rest of the games to be played, they are still stuck with the loss total.   Another  reason to strengthen the team before trading deadline has passed, so an improved team. at least on paper.  plays those extra games.

8 minutes ago, Natty said:

The O's keep winning.

The Ray's are collapsing. 

Love it. 

The Jays and the Sox are surging. Going to be an interesting finish. If the Jays win today and we lose, they are 3.5 behind us with a 4-game set and we don't match up particularly well, right now.

• Upvote 1

A .500 finish gets us to 97 wins by my calculation.

I think I’d take that. Probably doesn’t win the division, but gets us the first wild card spot. Of course, we should be gunning for the division. I’m just being realistic given our schedule, injuries, and pitching struggles.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Malike said:

The Jays and the Sox are surging. Going to be an interesting finish. If the Jays win today and we lose, they are 3.5 behind us with a 4-game set and we don't match up particularly well, right now.

Angeles just took a 3-run lead in the top of the 10th.

4 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Toronto lost 3-2. Orioles could pick up a full game on them today.

That's huge. Did not want to go into TOR possibly being only 3.5 ahead. I am REALLY worried about this TOR series. It's a terrible match up right now. I'd be thrilled w/ a split.

Looking at these numbers and the implication that the division and the best record in the AL are really the Orioles to lose, a front office decision to not add to this team at the deadline seems inexcusable. This is a chance to place the 2023 team in the best possible position to make a deep playoff run. These opportunities don't present themselves very often. I hope Elias appreciates that fact.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

That's huge. Did not want to go into TOR possibly being only 3.5 ahead. I am REALLY worried about this TOR series. It's a terrible match up right now. I'd be thrilled w/ a split.

Another high-stakes series. It seems like it's been one after the other the past few weeks.

13 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Another high-stakes series. It seems like it's been one after the other the past few weeks.

When you’re good, things matter more. And there isn’t a pushover in the division so they don’t get the added bonus of a couple extra games (though admittedly fewer than in year’s past) against a team that’s tanking.